Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andhra Pradesh Goat Curry, Sous Vide

Andhra Pradesh Goat Curry, Sous Vide

This is a bit experimental...I haven't seen anyone doing anything like this. We'll see what happens on Saturday.

Toasting the spices for the masala: poppy seeds, dried red chiles, coriander, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon.

Freshly ground masala.

Onions browned, adding garlic/ginger paste.

masala incorporated, green chiles added and sauce left to cool.

Bagging goat and sauce.

Wasn't sure what temp to set for Goat...a bit of googling suggested 139. We'll see how it is in a couple of days.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

i love goat! and i love indiaan food!

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i love goat! and i love indiaan food!
    Goat seems to be woefully underrated. I've been a fan of it for years, particularly Jerked Goat, and the Punjab/Pakistan style of Goat Curry. I'm staying with a friend from Andhra this week though, so we are making something close to (his) home. Quite a lot hotter than the stuff you get from NW India/Pakistan

Looking good danny! I know you mentioned this dish to me, I bet its going to be redic
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

used to have a college classmate that was pakistani. my classmates and i ate at his house all the time. he pretty much grew up here, spoke the language and all that. he was also my classmate during gradeschool, also my first foreigner friend. used to get into a few fist fights with him too when we were kids. lol. he forgot about it, but i remember them well. met him again during college and we were pretty good friends during that time. he's in the UK now. he used to pack a huge lunch when we were kids and we ate all of it. lol. introduced me to really good indian food. i could still taste his mother's cooking.

Sous Vide of goat is complete...plus side dishes...

mise for raita

toor daal going in PC.

My host, meticulously picking Gongura leaves for the daal.

Gongura leaves are quite sour, and that is infused into the broth from cooking. similar to using spinach and lemon. Gongura is a bit heartier though, taking about 15 min to become fully tender.

Starting Tarka for Gongura Daal, with a little fenugreek, cumin, and black mustard seeds.

Adding curry leaves, dried red peppers, garlic, and asofetida.

Goat is fresh out of the sous vide, after 48 hours at 139F. Normally this is a dry curry dish. But, obviously, the liquid can/will not evaporate when sous vide...so a thin gravy is left. In the future, I think I'll reduce the liquid content before going sous vide.

Yogurt is mixed into raita, last step is the masala of cumin and black peppercorns.

Table is set.

and service.

The goat was superbly tender, and still quite pink. I've not seen this before, despite having eaten a fair bit of goat prepared by a number of skilled cooks. That's sous vide at work. However, there was a surprising amount of connective tissue still remaining...but it wasn't tough. Next time, I think I'll go with 129F @ 72 hours...give it more time to break down the keratin/etc.

Sooo....I'm going to call it a success...but with room to improve. Which shouldn't be surprising given that this is my first attempt at sous vide over 3 hours.

Also: Gongura is freaking delicious. This will happen again.

Looks awesome.

i am jealous that you get to eat that food.

That looks amazing and new. I want new food. Thanks for sharing!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Danny, Looks supurb. I think you probably had the time/temp right. Goad always has tons of connective tissue. Perhaps next time, after SV, cool, seperate juices from meat. Reduce sauce and refresh the curry flavors, then when nice and thick, add the meat back and simmer slowly covered for 30 to 40 min.

Also, you're raita will have more flavor impact if you drain the yogurt in cheesecloth overnight. You can even use the Whey for cooking the rice.

Looks great. Thanks for sharing your SV experiences!
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.