Video - Variations in Oregon Maple

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great video Mark, but how can you take Maple for granite (just kidding). Nice job.

YES! An awesome video and a great bad pun:

-you wood guys are oaky.

Great Video Mark. In four minutes you've cleared up about three years of questions i've had about wood. Love the but about the colonies of fungis making barriers between them. More please

An old wood turner showed up Thursday with a pickup truck full of old wood.
Said he was too old for turning wood anymore so he brought some of the leftover wood to sell to us.
This is one of the pieces I grabbed.
It was a big chunk of crusty old Maple Burl.
He said that he tossed it into the creek for several years. Then it went into the barn to dry.
First thing I did was write not for sale on the top because this is really really good Maple burl.
mb001_zps6ae395ad.jpg

I cut off the back portion so I could cut it on the band saw.
mb002_zps62031317.jpg

Very nice orange and gold colors inside and very good burl figure with no voids or bark pockets.
mb004_zpscc8408f1.jpg

This piece was cut from the portion nearest the center of the log. That part usually does not have good figure.
Now I am going to sand a block for a closer look at what I have here.

Very nice Mark. Looks like you got a great piece there. Not that many old wood turners show up at my door in NYC. Send him my way next time.

Cool Video! Mark -- you have a voice made for this kind of thing!

Wow. I like how the wood guys have crazy methods that may not be the norm but pull out nice results. i.e. I through it in a creek for a couple years then dried it. lol can't beat that.

Back