Quantcast
Yakitori Suggestions?

Thread: Yakitori Suggestions?

Yakitori Suggestions?

I'm on the hook for preparing Yakitori for a Japanese food group I belong to. (I think I'm the only one with a portable grill) I'm planning on classic chicken skewers with scallion and tare and have shichimi tagarashi for seasoning.

Any tips or suggestions to elevate this dish?

While I have the grill hot I've thought about making Yaki Onigiri per "The Japanese Grill". This would be a first time and I have visions of rice falling through the grates. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Pics, if not too bad, to follow.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

may I suggest Japanese yaki rice cake, it is more easy to cook than Yaki Onigiri!!

you can use BBQ grill instead electron Gill
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Be sure to salt before grilling and serve with lemon wedges, good salt, and if you can find it, yuzu kosho. Also serve a variety if you can, such as chicken wings and drumettes (Tebasaki), breast meat (Sasami), liver (Motsu), and hearts (Hatsu).
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Beef tongue and maitake mushrooms are extremely good.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

pork wrap tomato

Mentaiko stuff chicken wing

Mentaiko over chicken

Miso pork

bacon wrap rice cake
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Sponsors
    The classic ones are probably tsukune (chicken meatballs with or without sauce), bacon wrapped asparagus, and simple grilled shiitake. I really like the bacon wrapped mochi.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try the miso pork and bacon wrapped tomatoes in addition to the chicken.

I would not have associated bacon or pork belly with Japanese cuisine, somewhere I got the impression that smoked meat was considered "tainted" or spoiled. I'm sure I read it on the internet...
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Many Japanese love pork. There are numerous smoked meats that are commonly eaten in Japan, including bacon and smoked sausage. Still, Yakitori usually does not generally include non-poultry meat items or includes only a very limited number of non-poultry meat items. It is "grilled bird" after all.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thanks for the clarification Michael. . I had recently cured a pork belly and put some thick slices on skewers and glazed them while grilling. They went over very well as did the chicken. The host had put together some skewers of chicken organ meats and some of skin. Skin was great and I was told the organ meats were good.

Name:  IMAG0420.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  600_272383202.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  179.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Older and wider.