Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hot sauce-if i use both red and green jalapenos will the final product look ugly?

You can always make fresh salsa instead of siracha or better yet just pickle the peppers and the bi-color in the jars looks nice. Less work as well.

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Make a red and a green. Make the green fresh as they tend to turn doodoo brown if fermented, and ferment the red. Two sauces, two colors, two tastes.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Make a red and a green. Make the green fresh as they tend to turn doodoo brown if fermented, and ferment the red. Two sauces, two colors, two tastes.

pretty much what I was thinking.
    Chewie's the man.

thanks for everyone's advice.

good stuff. my beta version has been started. i'll taste it hopefully tonight. if it works, i do the big batch.

might have to hit a friend's farm for a big box of red jalapenos. my home batch was smaller than i thought.

Sorry pics are HUGE, after one week, and after six months. The color just gets richer, and yes sort of redish brown. By the way this stuff is better than any store bought hot sauce I've ever had. I gave my dad three gallons of this stuff a couple of years ago and it keeps getting better the longer it sets. He keeps it in a giant glass jug in the beer fridge and refills old hot sauce bottles with it. Not sure if thats strictly food safe but no ones died yet, and I know they ferment tabasco for 3 years.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks great. The only "pretty" green hot sauce I've seen is fake as my grandmother's teeth

The last place I worked at, we had a really delicious hot sauce we made with habaneros that looked really bad. It wasn't just brown, it was ugly. It's named "Inner Beauty" hot sauce.

Maybe "good intentions" would also work.

well, mine came out tasting like krap.

i'll let it mellow in the fridge a tad..if not, it is off to beta version 2.0.

well, my first attempt sucked.

taste is off..too much vinegar for starters. and visually it blows. my blender cannot whip it into a homogeneous mixture. it looks like tiny ground up peppers floating in a sauce