Need help picking a Chef's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itzhak

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I need help choosing a chef's knife and I'd appreciate your help :thankyou:
I filled the Questionnaire:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed? Right hand

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Both will be fine

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? professional environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for: slicing/chopping vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing? A $50 Euro style Chef's knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push cut, Rocking motion, Slice

Comfort I want it to be very comfortable, medium weight, rounded spine.

Ease of Use: Good food release, smooth rocking

Edge Retention: Very good retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, very much.

Greetings Itzhak! I don't know much about stainless knives, but trust the vendor of these to provide nothing but quality knives. You could also order a waterstone from the same source and still come in right around budget including shipping (I believe). I'm sure you will hear from others who can help more, but wish you luck in your search. If you had a higher budget then I might recommend contacting these folks who make knives in your country.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you :)
Glad to be here

Greetings Itzhak! I don't know much about stainless knives, but trust the vendor of these to provide nothing but quality knives. You could also order a waterstone from the same source and still come in right around budget including shipping (I believe). I'm sure you will hear from others who can help more, but wish you luck in your search. If you had a higher budget then I might recommend contacting these folks who make knives in your country.

Cheers!

Thank you :)
I will look into the link you gave
And wow I had no idea people in Israel make these kind of knives. I will check them out. Thanks again

Thank you guys
And thanks for the links, I will check it out.
Also, I need a recommendation for sharpening stones.
I want to buy a few stones of around 300 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 and 3000 grit and a lapping stone. Any recommendations ?
Thanks,
Itzhak

Do you have a budget for the stones?

First I will say that you do not need 1K 2K and 3K stones all at once.
The rule of thumb seems to be:
1K and 5K to start and for lower grit it's recommended nothing for the beginners as the damage you can do with it might be quite big.

But if you want a lower grit stone right away you might want to consider a DMT or Atoma diamond plates as they will combine the coarse grit stone with lapping plate.

I did not try enough stones to recommend from my own experience but if you ask me for this budget I would say:
DMT XC
Bester 1200
Suheiro Rika 5K or Naniwa SS 5K

Thanks for the help. However the shop I am buying from doesn't have these stones.
It is most useful for me to choose from this: website
Maybe someone can advice me with about stones from this shop

Oh I didn't see those.
Thanks a lot for the help. I will order the first two for now :)
Many thanks

Back