Singatirin 270 Honyaki Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mano

Reaction score
Maxim’s V2 honyaki Singatirins are gyoto’s are getting some good love on KKF and the suji is the best knife of its type I’ve used.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/singatirin-honyaki-270-mm-wa-sujihiki/

His measurements –probably done with calipers- were pretty close to mine, with the exception of length, 282mm. I used a tape measure.

Blade Height at Heel- 38.1mm
Width of Spine at Handle- 3,6 mm
Width of Spine Above Heel- 3,3mm
Width of Spine at Middle- 1,9mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the tip- 1 mm

singatirin2.JPG

Like most all wa’s this is a blade heavy knife and the balance point is a click north of my thumb using a pinch grip. The thinner/lighter burnt chestnut handle suited me better than a number of the heavier custom handled knives I’ve owned. At 156 grams the Singatirin is light, nimble but has enough weight for a solid feel.
signatrin blade2.JPG
Fit and finish are very good. The spine and choil are smooth and rounded. The only other honyaki I owned had a distinct wavy oil quenched hamon line. The Singitirin’s faint mizu-honyaki hamon is even more difficult to see as the blade develops a patina.
singatirin name.JPG
I loved the profile of the Kanemasa 270 suji I just sold and this comes in a close second as it’s not as flat toward the tip. When using the Singatirin as a proper slicer it beats the few others I’ve owned: Konosuke 300 white #2 and a Misono UX10. The choil shots show how thin it is behind the edge.
signatrin choil2.JPG
For the past six weeks I’ve been using this as much as possible for a home cook. Edge retention is excellent so far. It still push cuts paper, passes the Salty tomato test and shows no sign of edge wear. There was some micro-chipping when I first used it, but none after a touch up and putting on a microbevel. For me, it has the right amount of toothiness.

The Singitirin suji is a great pull slicer. With the extra length, most of the time it takes only one stroke to complete a cut. Push cutting is pretty easy, too.

Food separation is very good with most all proteins. Using a light grip, it slides through fish and beef loins. A few extra strokes were needed to slice a deli type turkey breast. There is slight stiction with some fruits and a fair amount with potatoes.

My only gripe is the extra 12mm. For me, 270 is ideal and because I'm getting rid of all but the 6-7 knives I plan to keep forever, my search for the ideal 270 sujihiki may not be over. I'll give the Singitirin more time because it is such a good knife. Take this review for what it is from a home cook with limited Japanese knife knowledge and experience. I’d really like to see a review from a pro cook.

Final words: Maxim rules.
signatrin kanji.JPGsingitirin3.JPG

Thanks Mano! I've still been enjoying my Singatirin gyuto as well!

Cheers!

When I think of the Salty tomato test, I think of a knife falling through a tomato without slicing. No knife will do that after six weeks of work and the Singitirin is no exception. So I'm wondering what you meant. Is it the slicing of a free standing half tomato while it's sitting on a board?

Mano, nice looking suji! I remember you talking about your search for a great 270 suji when we meet at the ECG you hosted. Glad you found one, and hopefully you can come to "peace" with the little added length.

Back