First J knife, Gesshin Ginga gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jon @ JKI is fantastic. Thank you for all your help in getting me my first real Japanese knife. Gesshin Ginga 210mm wa-gyuto in white steel #2. I'm already thinking about which petty to go with. Removed the lacquer and sliced a couple old onions just for fun and I already have the very slight beginnings of a patina.

image.jpg

Nice! I got the very same knife a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. if you're thinking about a petty, I would go for 120mm since the Wa-Ginga is really a 200mm blade.

Great info, thanks. I was thinking the same about a petty. I'm not that tall, so the shorter knives are nice. What petty(s) do you have/like?

i have had the 240 and 150 by my side for about 6 months now, excellent knives and of course jon and sara are great. cheers for supporting small business.

strangely, i feel the gingas are a little underrated in light of the yusuke craze of late.

For me the choice between Ginga and Yusuke was sadly determined ultimately by US international shipping fees...

u can get the gingas through ashi hamono directly as well.

Sorry to interject, but they are not the same... We have worked with them to create something unique and custom for us... The HT, hardness, fit and finish, and more.

Back