Review Richmond Artifex M390

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;y8j5aOVRffc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8j5aOVRffc[/video]

I haven't even watched the video yet, but I had to do a double take when I saw this posted by Dave!

i liked the video. this guy cracked me up in his last youtube vid about kens stones, but here he gives a calm, well explained breakdown of why the m390 artifex is an underachiever.

This guy is the Scorsese of hand-knife monologues.
What does he really look like?
It's killing me!

So disappointing that these are being pushed on young cooks as inexpensive quality knives when they suck this bad. It aggravates me.

Thanks for the video. Though I don't know if I can say I trust the reviewer as an expert (without learning a bit more), he certainly sounds convincing and as if he knows his stuff. I've waited through multiple iterations of Richmond's knives as the kinks are worked out; seems like it would be best to wait a bit longer.

This guy is the Scorsese of hand-knife monologues.
What does he really look like?
It's killing me!

He is rather intriguing, and the dirty sweat pants with hole and flannel shirt just adds to the mystery a bit. I like the thoroughness of the review though. I trust him more than the legions of 'knifefans' who put up the glowing reviews without much thought at all.

On that note, were the AEB-L Artifex knives any better? Or has anyone tried one out?

k.

On that note, were the AEB-L Artifex knives any better? Or has anyone tried one out?

k.
I worked on one for a friend and it was horrendous. Terrible HT, not really sure about the quality of the steel to begin with as it was very "rusty".

I worked on one for a friend and it was horrendous. Terrible HT, not really sure about the quality of the steel to begin with as it was very "rusty".

Rusty? perhaps the only word I didn't expect to see.

Cliff Stamp is famous for reviewing knives (all kinds), brutal honesty and lack of favoritism. If I recall it correctly, he is a physicist.

Scary guy for knife makers out there. Monotonous voice and compete absence of emotion, makes it even scarier. :D

M

He (Cliff Stamp) also has his own forum, since he was kicked from BF. Though it lacks the fun responses he use to get on BF

If I can wade in, it was an entertaining review - in ways. Cliff Stamp (if that is who it is) was wearing somewhat soiled clothes (though that's fine) and, yes absolutely, gave a very dry and thorough critique of this knife. I kind of wonder if anyone who was interested in buying it would actually care to watch more than a minute or two, and if it might only be the Artiflex enemies that would see it all through. (Probably.) Also, as CS clearly wasn't digging it I found myself wondering why he didn't just pack it in after a minute or two. He actually seemed to still be giving it the benefit of the doubt by the time he concluded. Scientific method?

I'm no Cliff Stamp fan. Over the years I've seen him jump to conclusions or simply damn knives for not reaching a potential that he deems appropriate. I'm no scientist, he is, so it's not so good when I can easily spot the holes in his reviews.

I'm sure he's right on here though. LOL :D

Oh my god that was one of the most hilarious videos I have seen.

...I kind of wonder if anyone who was interested in buying it would actually care to watch more than a minute or two, and if it might only be the Artiflex enemies that would see it all through. (Probably.)

Not necessarily the case. I am no fan or enemy really -- I don't care to think in those terms. With that said, I stupidly recommended someone try the AEB-L version a while back when they asked me for a knife under $100 and after seeing this, I now feel like crap. So I am probably going to have to pony up and buy them a replacement knife to make things right again. After seeing the photos and this video I would simply not recommend this knife to anyone at this point. Even if some turn out 'ok', the variable quality should be enough to scare most people off -- unless Ken finish sharpens it I guess ;)

k.

I have never heard of Cliff but I am a fan, check out this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMFBaYIns

I've always appreciated Cliff Stamp's contributions. However, weak they might have been, other's contributions were weaker, in general. That said, that's the first CS video I've ever seen and it was hilarious. :thumbsup: On another note, I received a Richmond Ultimatum in M390 a while back. I can confirm the steel is fairly wear resistant and that the grind was $hit. The knife was bent significantly. The tip was ground very thin while the other two thirds of the length were hardly ground at all. The handle was too small and it was really couldn't be called a "cutter" awful or otherwise. I've since reground the knife. It is shorter but cuts a lot better and I'll be sending it off to its owner after the WCG.

I just love how our membership takes products like this and with a bit of effort turns them in to the best tool they can be. Can't fix the HT of course...but probably a decent value for the price at this point.

I've always appreciated Cliff Stamp's contributions. However, weak they might have been, other's contributions were weaker, in general. That said, that's the first CS video I've ever seen and it was hilarious. :thumbsup: On another note, I received a Richmond Ultimatum in M390 a while back. I can confirm the steel is fairly wear resistant and that the grind was $hit. The knife was bent significantly. The tip was ground very thin while the other two thirds of the length were hardly ground at all. The handle was too small and it was really couldn't be called a "cutter" awful or otherwise. I've since reground the knife. It is shorter but cuts a lot better and I'll be sending it off to its owner after the WCG.

I've found, in general, Cliff Stamp to be honest, straight forward and generally more knowledgeable than most, not withstanding....frequently a PIA. I know nothing about this knife, and frankly am not even tempted to find out about it on a personal level.

Thinking it over, must add....the idea that Cliff Stamp has ANY sense of humor of any kind, however condescending. was so surprising that I found myself quite entertained by the video. l-)

Did the accent seem affected to anyone else?

OK. I wouldn't recognize that if my life depended on it...nor would it make any difference in my opinion of his knife review. Shrug

Back