Tkern Dinner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator
KKF Supporting Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is overdue by a couple weeks, but better late than never. This is the dinner tkern put together for my wife and I to celebrate her birthday.

Started off with a pork headcheese dumpling. Phenomenal.

P1000739.JPG

And onto the charcuterie platter and accompanyments. Duck, pork and rabbit goodies, hot pickles, pickled mustard seeds and ramps, and grilled bread. All that hard work really paid off -- the cured meats were fantastic.. Heck, I even ate -- and thoroughly enjoyed -- the rabbit pate (I attribute that to the pistachios. Like bacon and frying, pistachios can make anything taste great :biggrin:)

P1000740.JPGP1000741.JPG

Salad with pickled onions, local feta, candied pecans and beets.

P1000742.JPG

Uh, since it was my wife's birthday, I unselfishly gave her the beets from my salad... :angel2:

P1000743.JPG

Next up was shrimp and grits, with a creole twist. Really took the dish in another direction from the traditional cream/ butter preparation they used to serve. My wife really enjoyed the switch to 'heads-on' shrimp.

View attachment 17398

And while she enjoyed the shrimp and grits, I was the recipient of the 'turf' portion of the course -- braised pork belly with some crispy skin. The pork was so good I even ate some of the lima beans (see above -- anything with bacon added... :D)

P1000745.JPG

sensing a chink in my armor, Travis follow up with sweetbreads on a pea/ herb risotto. This is the second time I've tried sweatbreads (my wife loves them). The first time was on our first visit to A&S a while back. I really expected to not like this, but it was quite good!

P1000746.JPG

Okay, enough appetizers -- time for main courses! For her, some kinda fish thing

P1000747.JPG

And for me, perfectly cooked lamb loin and a delicious lamb sausage. And I even ate some of the garbanzo beans -- even though they were not cooked in bacon fat! :O

P1000748.JPG

and for the final entree, a fantastic plate of rabbit two ways. The ravioli filling was awesome.

P1000749.JPG

At this point Travis was taking pity on our poor overstuffed souls. He spared us the cheese/ grilled bread course, and brought out a single dessert -- a blueberry muffin cake with vanilla ice cream. A great, unexpected twist. Perfect!

P1000750.JPG

If you are in the DC area, do yourself and your stomach a big favor and visit Travis! :thumbsup:

Wow, I will most definitely visit Travis if I ever end up in DC.

Looks and sounds great! Nice work, Travis!

About the garbanzo beans, they were cooked with the skin of a bacon'd belly in the pot. Thanks for the review and picts. Always a great time to cook for you and the missus.

D@mn. Wish my trip northwards would have allowed for a diversion through here....<sigh>

Back