Quantcast
Food and Children - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food and Children

Just inundate them with everything you can that isn't too spicy. Once you pull out the Uni a few times, they will think they will have died and gone to heaven when you roll out a piece of baked haddock with scallop potatoes and steamed asparagus.

I believe by requiring them to try new foods, you'll be planting seeds in their psychie that will flourish in later years. If you can think back, its probably whats motivated many on this forum to make their way into a professional kitchen (sure aint common sense HA). Those early childhood tastes will haunt them in their later years. Hit them with everything, think about more like breaking a horse than teaching a kid something. They will hate you now but love you later. Remember, its takes more than just love to raise a child. Like starvation and unilateralism.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Only a few things to add. Getting involved in the prep work is generally a good way to demystify food and feel proud of something. However, it can backfire; shortly after getting married, I asked my 12-yr old stepson to help crush a can of tomatoes by hand for sauce. The texture was massively offensive to him to say the least, and it was a few years before he'd come back in the kitchen while I cooked. Getting involved in prep can be a gateway to it, but forcing it can relegate it to drudgery and resistance. You know your kid best, so make your call.

Start maybe a bit closer to home? I don't know yours, but steamed pork buns to this day are a bit of a mystery to me as to what's inside. Go back to the center of what he knows and push out from there. Kid likes hamburgers? Make them fresh at home, it'll crush the fast food experience. Chicken nuggets? Make yakitori skewers - the slightly sweet sauce ought to win them over. Gradually you can push out from what they know and they'll get more and more adventurous.

Lastly, some kids just come into it on their own. Palates and tastes change. Mine started paying attention to food when he was in high school and could cook ramen for himself. Maybe not the healthiest, but what he did was start experimenting with spices, hot sauces, and flavoring his ramen to his taste. I wasn't about to fuss about that exploration. Now, at 21, he's come around and is making smarter, broader food choices than he did as a teenager.

+ Reply to Thread