Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri tip steak?

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I do 2-3 tri tips every day at work. We marinate them, sear them on the griddle, then rub them with a spice mix and in a 350 oven for about 35 mins for medium rare. Slice thin against the grain and serve on a roll with some jus. Nom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Tri-tip is a wonderful cut of meat and is a favorite in our house. We always do it grilled, usually with a reverse sear method- low heat (under 300) then finish the last few minutes over direct fire to give it a nice crust. Pull it at 130* internal, let it rest in a tent of foil (don't wrap) for 15 minutes then slice perpendicular to the grain. Tri-tip will do just fine in the oven, you just won't get that wonderful charcoal or smoke taste. I keep it simple with the seasonings and let the meat do the talking: salt, pepper and garlic is the way they serve it in Santa Maria.

Honestly, tri-tip will come out great as long as you follow these two rules.

1. DO NOT overcook it. Cook to medium rare
    2. Be sure to slice directly perpendicular to the grain. The grain structure of tri-tip changes in the middle of the roast, make sure you adjust your slices to make sure you keep slicing perpendicular. I've seen perfectly cooked tri-tips ruined by improper slicing.
    This is how I do tritip. Comes out awesome every time. I put it at 250 deg until its about 100 deg inside. Then sear. If your grill isn't super hot, you might want to sear before it gets to 100 deg. If you have a smaller chunk of meat, you also need to start searing earlier.

Uh oh, look what what I picked up today. Locally grown USDA Prime tri-tip. More pictures tomorrow!

Yank me!
    I know it's prime, but 8.99/lb for tri tip.....

Uh oh, look what what I picked up today. Locally grown USDA Prime tri-tip. More pictures tomorrow!

Nice Kyle.

I think those guys sponsored the Eggfest two weeks ago. I need to check them out and see what else they have.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    Yank me!
    I know it's prime, but 8.99/lb for tri tip.....
    Beef prices have been going up. Stater Bros. (grocery chain in California) charges $5.99/lb for Select tri-tip when it's not on sale. Of course, it's silly to pay that amount as it goes on sale faily often between $2.47-$3.99/lb. Also, Albertsons carries Choice @ $7.99/lb and that sometimes goes on sale for $3.99-$4.99/lb. I was actually surprised it was only $8.99 to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Nice Kyle.

I think those guys sponsored the Eggfest two weeks ago. I need to check them out and see what else they have.
    I've been in there twice. Their selection is fairly limited but everything is Choice or Prime. I HIGHLY recommend the pork chops. I bought two beautifully marbled bone in chops a couple months ago and it was the best pork chop I've ever eaten in my life. The day I bought those chops I also bought a couple Prime ribeyes for me and my dad. We both agreed that the chops outshined the ribeyes. I honestly had no idea a pork chop could taste so good.

They have a good selection of homemade sausages but I make my own sausage so I haven't tried them yet. They also have their own BBQ cafe. I only tried the pulled pork but it was OK at best.

Beef prices have been going up....
    I know...I thinkl local So Cal COSTCO is 3.99 - 4.99/choice. Doesn't see like it was that long ago when it was a 0.99/lb butchers cut and you would rarely find it more than 100 miles away from Sta. Maria

Good thing we don;t have any inflation....