Quantcast
Moritaka - how long? - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka - how long?

I would say, conservatively, that 7 out of 10 that I see are screwed up.

Even if you said 1 in 10, that would be cause for alarm..... I will have to rethink my planned future kiritsuke purchase... maybe a Takeda is in order instead; unless anyone knows of another maker doing double beveled kiritsuke shaped gyutos? #lefty issues#
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I would say, conservatively, that 7 out of 10 that I see are screwed up.
    I bet you probably see a disproportionate number of bad ones because people send them to you when they can fix it themselves.

For those of you who still don't understand the issue, I drew this very crude illustration to highlight the problem.

Even if you grind a away at the blade, the hole still there and there is nothing to reinforce the edge.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Actually most people are shocked to hear that their knife has a problem.

I will go out on a limb and say that they have a different polisher for their kurouchi lines and their damascus lines. If I recall correctly, Dave said he's never seen this issue with the Damascus line - though that could be because he hasn't seen nearly as many of the damascus knives from Moritaka. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they are using "cheap" help on the kurouchi line - a young apprentice or someone who doesn't really have experience in sharpening. Also they could be using a wheel that is very unevenly ground for the kurouchi line. To sell the knives at the pricepoint they are selling them at they have to cut corners somewhere. If they have an uneven grinding wheel all it would take is a few seconds of too much pressure on the wheel to cause this issue, and an inexperienced or poor sharpener probably never even picks up on the problem.

Any chances of getting a high res picture of the problem up so we can see what this defective overgrind looks like. Is it as exaggerated as the illustration shows or something that can be caught only with the trained eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookin808 View Post
    Any chances of getting a high res picture of the problem up so we can see what this defective overgrind looks like. Is it as exaggerated as the illustration shows or something that can be caught only with the trained eye?
    The picture is somewhat exaggerated because the overgrind is uniform where on most knives it is not. Its easiest to see by looking at the bevel. If it is wavy with parts missing, then you have a problem. From a performance standpoint, you can detect it by testing each segment of the edge. If there is a portion that doesn't get sharp, then that may be your issue.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Rockbox, thank you for the illustration as I now finally understand what you guys have been talking about. Value added!

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    ...anyone knows of another maker doing double beveled kiritsuke shaped gyutos? #lefty issues#
    Nenox, but probably not the answer you wanted....
    http://korin.com/Wa-Kiritsuke_2?sc=20&category=52057

Did Watanabe make a special run of them for a group buy? (maybe 2 years ago?)

funny You mention that.
    I just did one today and I fell in Love with it.
    Its not the sharpest knife you can get, definitely not the thinnest either.
    But its taking crazy edge easily, the metal is pleasant to work with, the shape feels great, handle is perfectly thick for my liking, and even when you hold it pinch grip you feel the blade-heaviness, like its whispering to you to just cut something.... ahhh great knife

+ Reply to Thread