Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka - how long?

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    Nenox, but probably not the answer you wanted....
    http://korin.com/Wa-Kiritsuke_2?sc=20&category=52057

Did Watanabe make a special run of them for a group buy? (maybe 2 years ago?)
    There was a buzz on ITK and FF about Kiritsukes a few years ago. The experienced users kept cautioning people that it was a knife that took time to learn. I don't recall a Watanabe group buy. Mark at CKTG, went on a Kiritsuke spree, where he was ordering them from every maker.

Remember, I think his name was Charlie, who I believe went by Vermont Cook, on ITK. He'd order top end knives and quickly turn around and sell them at deep discounts. He purchased a Nenox kirituke liked it so much, that he ordered a custom one from Konosuke. Before the order was completed he changed his mind, and no longer wanted it. He sold a it, at a deep discount. The kiritsuke was so new that Konosuke shipped it directly to the new buyer.

NO ChoP! If your concerned about the Moritaka problem. Have Mark ship it to Dave. If there is a problem, return the knife to Mark. You may be out shipping and what ever Dave charges, but at least you avoided the problem.

By the way, I have a Moritaka kiritsuke. I prefer flat edges and wanted something with an aggressive tip. Since it was going to be used on the tougher jobs in the kitchen, the Moritaka problem wasn't an issue for me. The kiritsuke has been a nice compliment to my cleavers.

While there is a certain charm to a Takeda knife with the kirouchi finish, the price versus the competitors is getting out line. A cleaver for $550 or a honesuki for $299.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    There was a buzz on ITK and FF about Kiritsukes a few years ago. The experienced users kept cautioning people that it was a knife that took time to learn. I don't recall a Watanabe group buy. Mark at CKTG, went on a Kiritsuke spree, where he was ordering them from every maker.

Remember, I think his name was Charlie, who I believe went by Vermont Cook, on ITK. He'd order top end knives and quickly turn around and sell them at deep discounts. He purchased a Nenox kirituke liked it so much, that he ordered a custom one from Konosuke. Before the order was completed he changed his mind, and no longer wanted it. He sold a it, at a deep discount. The kiritsuke was so new that Konosuke shipped it directly to the new buyer.

NO ChoP! If your concerned about the Moritaka problem. Have Mark ship it to Dave. If there is a problem, return the knife to Mark. You may be out shipping and what ever Dave charges, but at least you avoided the problem.

By the way, I have a Moritaka kiritsuke. I prefer flat edges and wanted something with an aggressive tip. Since it was going to be used on the tougher jobs in the kitchen, the Moritaka problem wasn't an issue for me. The kiritsuke has been a nice compliment to my cleavers.

While there is a certain charm to a Takeda knife with the kirouchi finish, the price versus the competitors is getting out line. A cleaver for $550 or a honesuki for $299.

Jay

It probably just slipped Jay's mind, but Watanabe made a run of kiritsuke shaped gyutos about two years ago for a group buy that Marko initiated. http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/855049/

Mark Richmond got two of them and had Marko make handles and sayas for them. The last one Mark had sold in November, 2010, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe I will be getting the last one that Marko has for sale, just waiting for the saya to be completed. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post18772

Rick

Have you guys seen the new considerably higher prices on Moritaka at CKTG

Probably because of the USD falling against the Yen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    @heirkb, The issue with yanagiba is depressions in the blade road that seem to never effect the cutting edge because they are up high enough from the edge that when the blade road if flattened the problem is corrected, this happens long before the cutting edge is worked into these low areas. On Moritakas, the blade road/bevel is worn right down into the cutting edge making the hole appear. It's a similar problem yet very different simply because of the location of the depression is different on each knife. Now if we're talking usuba then we could say many cheap ones have Moritaka bevels because they do.....I hate cheap usubas.
    Thanks, Dave. I'm not good at visualizing these types of things, but I thought about this a few times, and it makes perfect sense. A yanagi with a low spot ground down close to the edge would have the same issue as a Moritaka, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post

Jay
    My thought exactly....I was blown away when I saw $299 for the long awaited honesuki. I can get the 240 kiritsuke for the same?????? WT?? Although, I like Takeda, it is rather utilitarian, and for $550 for a cleaver, I am sure you could find something much more impressive, no?

I did thoroughly inspect my Moritaka 300mm yanagi, and swear that on the right side bevel, there is slightly more material than the left; noticeable about two inches down from the tip. The left side seems straight and flat, with no visible "hole", but, the grind is slightly more aggressive. But, this is only evident with a magnifying glass, and me scrutinizing its every last detail for a half hour. I've owned it for a year, and never thought anything less than great of it prior.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Then why start now? It likely is great, like you thought all along!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

While certainly not desirable, I have to point out that overgrinds are not as rare as one might think, and they are certainly not confined to Moritaka. I have seen them on other knives as well, it is inevitable that with a product which is being ground by hand on power equipment that sometimes a craftsman will screw up and overgrind. Undesirable, but part of the reality of producing large numbers of knives. Quality control of the maker should catch the worst examples, however it is also duty of the consumer to inspect a new purchase to see that it meets their expectations. A knife blade road will never be completely perfect as long as it has been ground by human hands.

In most cases the flaws are so small that they are difficult to notice and do not affect performance. In cases where overgrinding is more noticeable, basically what you will have is a Granton or cullen that goes to the edge. Not what you would want, but the knife will still cut. Sometimes you just have to live with flaws.

I challenge anyone to take a bar of steel and try grinding it into a knife blade. You will quickly find out how difficult it is. Who knows what kind of crappy grinders they have in Japan, maybe we should chip in and send Moritaka a KMG or something. Did anyone who visited Moritaka happen to notice the equipment they were using for grinding??

BTW I have a lot of Moritakas and haven't had problems so far.