Quantcast
Moritaka - how long? - Page 4
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka - how long?

shankster, yours might be good if you got them up in Canada, maybe that vendor gives crap and makes sure his knives are good.

But if I can't tell there's a problem,if there is a problem, and my knife still performs the way I expect it to perform should I be pissed? Is the blade going to eventually disintegrate or lose it's cutting ability? Am I lucky I got some of the good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    shankster, yours might be good if you got them up in Canada, maybe that vendor gives crap and makes sure his knives are good.
    I hope so.Is it worth it to bring my knives back to my vendor and express my concerns and have him check them out?

Well, after reading Daves last post, I thoroughly inspected my 300mm yanagi, and could find no serious defects, zero waviness; next time Salty's in, I'm going to ask him to inspect it as well.

I will say, I own a Takeda as well, and will stick my neck on the line to say that Moritaka AS steel is harder, rusts less, and gets just as sharp; all for half the price. The octagonal handle is nicer and larger than Takedas.

I too have sharpened my Moritaka about four times from the low stones and another dozen from the mid stones and up, and the edge is still as flat as when new....

I am going to say this; the notion that to own a Moritaka means you're a novice, and don't know any better is crap. Period. I notice every infinite imperfection in every knife I own, from Konosuke to Watanabe to my newest Masamoto (people say the F&F is questionable, I say the handle and choil grind are pure crap! [but I love the steel])....

And please don't be defensive of this, but I would be careful slandering a company, could be a sticky situation....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

To be clear here - I'm not talking about wavy edges - I'm talking about low spots where a heavy handed knifemaker ground too deep in specific sections on the bevels of the sides of the blades....also let's include hammer marks at the edge found on forged knives like Moritaka.

I am going to say this; the notion that to own a Moritaka means you're a novice, and don't know any better is crap. Period. I notice every infinite imperfection in every knife I own, from Konosuke to Watanabe to my newest Masamoto (people say the F&F is questionable, I say the handle and choil grind are pure crap! [but I love the steel])....

And please don't be defensive of this, but I would be careful slandering a company, could be a sticky situation....

maybe some knife owners don't know what to inspect, look for, examine........and what's up with the slander comment?.....someone says there is an issue with a product and it's a problem?.....i hate pepsi compared to coke.....what if i said every pepsi i ever had was flat and tatsed like chemicals?.....what is pepsi gonna sue me?.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

If one wishes to be offended, one will find their wish.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Slander is writing something that isn't true. People are writing what they have experienced with the Moritaka product.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I just dashed into the kitchen and grabbed my Moritaka and held it up to the light at the window to check if I could see any uneveness along the blade road on either side - I also ran my finger along the bevel to see if I could feel anything... nothing.

Does that mean that mine is ok or am I missing something?

When I order mine from Akiko I stated clearly that I had head about the issues and that I wanted them to take care that my knife came with a completely kosher edge grind and she said 'Roger that' (basically).