Quantcast
Moritaka - how long? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Moritaka - how long?

Any chance you could show a few pictures of what you mean Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Any chance you could show a few pictures of what you mean Dave?

I've tried to capture this with my camera before but it's impossible to do. If you were standing next to me you could see it in an instant if shown.

I have a CCK 1303 that is overground in one section. When new, almost the entire length of the blade made contact with the board, except for a little bit at the heel and tip. Now there is a good inch-plus in the middle of the edge that does not make contact with the board. I have only sharpened it a few times. You can't see it other than where it doesnt make contact with the board, but once you know it is there you can feel the overground section as well. But at least it was $35 and not $150.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I wish this didn't bother me so much and I didn't feel the need to make these posts, I'm just so sick of having to tell another person that I can't fix their new knife. Oh and to make matters worse I won't add to their problems so I won't charge to return ship it back to them. Imagine how much money I've lost in postal fees alone, if I told you how much I've lost in being burnt by working on these knives you'd shudder. I'm just tired of this whole thing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I wish this didn't bother me so much and I didn't feel the need to make these posts, I'm just so sick of having to tell another person that I can't fix their new knife. Oh and to make matters worse I won't add to their problems so I won't charge to return ship it back to them. Imagine how much money I've lost in postal fees alone, if I told you how much I've lost in being burnt by working on these knives you'd shudder. I'm just tired of this whole thing with them.
    I'm sure your customers REALLY appreciate you not charging return shipping, but over the course of time, that's a HUGE expense. (I know from receiving several packages from you and sending knives by mail.)

Perhaps you could return their knives by regular, non-priority mail, instead of shipping them back for free?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

You should just make it known that you won't deal with Moritaka anymore. Sounds like a money hole draining away....

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    FWIW, going to Moritaka and/or their US vendors will do no good, I've been there and done that.
    So...What does "will do no good" mean, exactly? Akiko just tells you to go piss up a rope, or what? A post like this on the forum will clearly have an affect on those who may have been considering a Moritaka. Seems to me more elaboration would be appropriate (maybe you've mentioned this in the past with more details and I missed it)

In the past couple years I've very nearly pulled the trigger on a Moritaka, several times...because of all the glowing praise I'd read. Clearly, I'm now glad I didn't. There has to be some reason for this drop in quality control. Too many orders to spend the time necessary for a quality knife? A major change in the shop...equipment, change of knife maker, short handed? When I was communicating with Moritaka regarding a knife, Akiko was easily the most helpful, and seemingly honest, person I tried to deal with, with regard to handmade Japanese knives. I've seen many posts on various forums, affirming that opinion. Seems like there must be some logical reason for the drop in quality, and it seems odd that you get no positive response from Moritaka. Shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    You should just make it known that you won't deal with Moritaka anymore. Sounds like a money hole draining away....
    I could of sworn you stopped accepting them for sharpening/fixes over a year ago...no?

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    So...A post like this clearly have an affect on those who may have been considering a Moritaka.
    Oh yes they do have affect. I was just going to get one, when i read the last tread where Dave mentioned that "issue" and from then on I prefer to spend my money wiser.
    But big respect to you Dave for bringing it up so sharply.
    Cannot believe that maker of this reputation is doing that, and doing it continusly.

Dave's mentioned this issue with Moritakas for quite some time now - and yeah, I could've sworn you weren't taking in Moritakas anymore, Dave...
    Len

+ Reply to Thread