Quantcast
Santoku choice - need help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santoku choice - need help

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post

Watanabe Pro KU santoku is not stainless or semi-stainless, but pretty darn unreactive if you practice good habits in terms of wiping regularly. It's an excellent little knife if you're not dead-set on stainless/semi-stainless and want something that works well without being flashy.
    this is my recommendation
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    but I read that the quality of Watanabe went down. And I would love to hear more opinions on santokus.
    not sure where that's coming from....my Watanabe gyuto is a beautiful knife
    -Matt

I put my eyes on Watanabe Pro Santoku lately, but I read that the quality of Watanabe went down. And I would love to hear more opinions on santokus.
    Oh sorry. I hadn't noticed thIs when I made my recommendation for Watanabe. Anyway, absolutely unsubstantiated. I've purchased blades from 6 or 7 makers over the past 6 months and Watanabe has them all beat. They are really great knives.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    If you're looking for something pretty non-reactive, stay away from the Shigefusa kitaeji knives. Great knives, but reactive like crazy for the first little while.
    This is very true they are reactive, but proper care or a forced patina is an easy fix.

This my favorite cutter in my block IMHO.

http://www.hidatool.com/cutlery-and-...nife-165mm-6-5

No wedging with potatoes and the slices don't stick. Handle isn't the nicest but for your budget you could have someone slap on a very nice custom.

Fit and finish on Kasumi knives are very good. They do a good job with VG 10. I've had their Santoku almost 20 years. With all the knives I have at my disposal , it still sees use.

Thanks all for the options.
    Right now I am between Shigefusa and Watanabe pro, especially since watanabe pro santoku comes with SS clad. Also Tanka with Ironwood looks beautiful but I looked at the price and it's little bit to much and the handle style wont feet :-/
    Heji looks like an option as well, would be my third choice.
    Zensho does not convience me for some reason as well as Gihie. Gihie santoku looks like have hollow ground secondary bevel, I am not a big fan of it.

As for Watanabe quality, I read it somewhere that their quality went down. I am really glad that it is not the case.

I have very little experience with santokus but the Zensho at JNS was the first thing that came to mind for me. I have a Zensho nakiri and love it. If I remember right, that maker exclusively makes "home" knives (santoku, nakiri) so his dedication and experience are all funneled into a pretty specific goal.
    - Erik

Thanks all for the options.
    Right now I am between Shigefusa and Watanabe pro, especially since watanabe pro santoku comes with SS clad.
    As Echerub has pointed out they are very different in terms of reactivity. If the SS clad is a plus to you then I would get the Watanabe. Shigefusa is very highly regarded, but it is reactive.

I really love my Yamawaku 165mm. It feels like and cuts like a bigger knife. And cheap. The A-Frames Tokyo online store offers a semi-stainless Aritsugu Wa that I've had my eye on for a while.

+ Reply to Thread