Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santoku choice - need help

The A-Frames Tokyo online store offers a semi-stainless Aritsugu Wa that I've had my eye on for a while.
    Artisugu sounds interesting but I could not find semi-stainles santoku... The one I found is Blue #2 Damascus, which I assume is iron clad of some sort.

Oops. My bad. Could be my memory was faulty.

Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa santoku: $360 from Korin.

Some nice high end reccoms.already on this thread. Looking for 250.00+ Santokus I noticed alot are sold out. Epicurean Edge has Asai Damascus Macassar Ebony Wa Handle.

New Arrival Japanese Chef Knife Mr. Masui 180mm,very nice Damascus pattern.It's not a Wa Handle,but California Buckeye Burl The greys in the handle tie in wt. the mat grey of the Damascus,I imagine these after a while will be sold out too.

I have one Santoku left on my rack. It's a 180mm Ashi Hamono Ginga. And I don't think I'll ever sell it. Ashi calls it a "home style". It weighs in at a hefty 100 grams. Highly recommended. I doubt the performance is much different from a Suisin IH or other thin Sakai knives made of AEB-L. And the price is well below your target.

maybe that harner in the B/S/T section is worth a look?

Beat me to it Definitely worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    maybe that harner in the B/S/T section is worth a look?

That one was sold fast

Does anybody knows where can I see/buy Heiji Semi-Stainless Santoku? I've read good things about his Semi-Stainless knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    That one was sold fast

Does anybody knows where can I see/buy Heiji Semi-Stainless Santoku? I've read good things about his Semi-Stainless knives.
    Call Jon @ JKI!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Talk to JKI Jon (he has a vendor sub-forum here). He carries Heji and could probably get you what you want. His "Gesshin" Heiji knives are made to his specs and based on everything else I've seen done to his specs, I'd go with one of those over "standard".

FWIW, here's the other maker that I was trying to think of earlier:
    Machida Isshi
    http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/hamo...a/Machida.html

no idea if they're any good, and the core is carbon, not stainless.... but you should ignore that and buy one... and then sell it to me when you decide that you don't like it
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded