Quantcast
Recomended Edges for Various Knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recomended Edges for Various Knives

I prefer the new one, but just barely.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

In order to return to the OP's question:
    I prefer my slicer, who has almost no board contact, to have both the thinnest and the less polished edge. After a full progression to 5k I will end with a few very light strokes on a 2k, or even a dry 800 Chosera.
    For general purpose knives though I would suggest a more obtuse angle, polished as far as I can get. It's all about the amount of maintenance you're willing to perform. A single-sided microbevel ā la Jon Broida may simplify your life considerably.

I think I prefer pretty toothy edges. Cutting on cheapo crappy boards, the edge isn't gonna last forever so I have come to the conclusion that toothy is better. I now just go King 800 to Rika 5k and I like it, for all my knives, 99/1 lefty or whatever. Not the fanciest way of doing it but it works for me

I'm with stevenStefano. Ultrafine edges lose their bite way too quickly even on expensive endgrain boards, esp. if you have multiple users of differing skill levels. I like the feel and clean cuts of a very fine edge but if I'm going to need long lasting bite, I will keep more of the coarser scratches.

I know it won't be long until I have a Binsui. I can feel my defenses weakening.

JNS 1k > Red Aoto for almost everything. I usually can't stop myself from taking white steel to high grit levels though. Too much fun.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I use to finish on a Kitayama, but lately I've been content stopping at the Suehiro Rika. Seeing as I don't have any dedicated slicing/protein knives anymore I don't think there's really a need to go beyond 5k; also, as much as I like the feeling the kitayama leaves, I'd prefer a touch more retention.