Recomended Edges for Various Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe that there was a thread that gave suggestions on what grits various knives should be sharpened too.

I tried to find it but its escaping me. I think DaveM started it. Does anybody know what thread I'm referrering to?

TKS

Anyway, on almost anything I have I have two stone-jns 1k and binsui edge.

Ask people who got a knife from me how do they like it... ;)
[point is, numbers doesnt matter]

Mike, I hear ya and its all preferrence yada yada yada but I think I once heard that a more polished (less toothy) edge is better for slicing knives and prep knives should have more bit to them. I just wanted to reference that doc

I tend to recommend sharp edges on most knives. But your mileage may vary.

In order to return to the OP's question:
I prefer my slicer, who has almost no board contact, to have both the thinnest and the less polished edge. After a full progression to 5k I will end with a few very light strokes on a 2k, or even a dry 800 Chosera.
For general purpose knives though I would suggest a more obtuse angle, polished as far as I can get. It's all about the amount of maintenance you're willing to perform. A single-sided microbevel à la Jon Broida may simplify your life considerably.

I think I prefer pretty toothy edges. Cutting on cheapo crappy boards, the edge isn't gonna last forever so I have come to the conclusion that toothy is better. I now just go King 800 to Rika 5k and I like it, for all my knives, 99/1 lefty or whatever. Not the fanciest way of doing it but it works for me

I'm with stevenStefano. Ultrafine edges lose their bite way too quickly even on expensive endgrain boards, esp. if you have multiple users of differing skill levels. I like the feel and clean cuts of a very fine edge but if I'm going to need long lasting bite, I will keep more of the coarser scratches.

I know it won't be long until I have a Binsui. I can feel my defenses weakening.

JNS 1k > Red Aoto for almost everything. I usually can't stop myself from taking white steel to high grit levels though. Too much fun.

I use to finish on a Kitayama, but lately I've been content stopping at the Suehiro Rika. Seeing as I don't have any dedicated slicing/protein knives anymore I don't think there's really a need to go beyond 5k; also, as much as I like the feeling the kitayama leaves, I'd prefer a touch more retention.

Back