looking for a gyuto/chef knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ygong

Reaction score
Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western or Japanese doesn't matter

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm-240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Every thing except for bread and bones

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I've been using all sorts of cheap knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rock, Slice, Push

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Unless it's ugly looking aesthetics doesn't matter that much.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

If it's comfortable to grip weight doesn't matter (I have a medium sized hand)

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Better food release, I don't mind cleaning my knife constantly

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Longer the better as I have never sharpened a knife before

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
How often do you have to sharpen your knife?
Also there seems to be some controversly on honing japanese knives

You might try a Gesshin Uraku or Suisin Inox Western. If you don't mind learning how to use it, you can't beat a Glestain for food release. Actually, I haven't seen particularly good food release in any sub-$300 knives outside of the Glestain barring highly asymmetric custom sharpening/regrind jobs. You might also consider a suji. Less surface area = less sticktion. Some of the "hammered Damascus" blades do okay with food release. The Gekko/Inazuma lines come to mind. I know Korin carries a hammered variety as well. Stay away from the super thin "laser" category.

The peanut gallery may shoot me but.............Moritaka 240

$250 can get you a lot of knife, if you're smart with your money. Buy used, and get a 1k (ish) stone.

Welcome to the forums. :)

No problem! I wasn't much help, but I stand by what I wrote. :)

Back