Entry to the single bevel world.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungpao

Reaction score
Looking for an entry level knife to the single bevel world. I'm open to suggestion and will hopefully fill in the rest with the questionnaire.

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
Usuba, Petty, Yanagiba,

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150mm minimum up to whatever

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for ?
I eat a lot of vegetables. I've been working on presentation so precision cuts and slicing would be nice.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Rounding out the collection

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push cut, slice, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife?

Looking for precision cutter, I'm open to a more stylized knife as long as its a bit forgiving and made of an 'easier' to sharpen material.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, occasional synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've been eyeballing the Gesshin Uraku line in white #2. It would be my first carbon, but I figure if I'm going single bevel I might as well take the carbon plunge. Open to suggestions in general.

I've been sharpening for about six months now. I have a Gesshin 1K and 5K, and may grab Gesshin 8k for uraoshi sharpening if need be. I am not looking for just a vegetable knife, though I am willing to go that route if it maybe a better beginner knife considering I eat a lot of veggies. I could also use a slicer or petty for finished proteins or precision cutting for presentation etc. I'm pretty much not wanting to invest in anything over the top nice for the very reason that I'm highly likely to mess it up.

Back