Quantcast
anyone encounter a good wine..in a box?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone encounter a good wine..in a box?

anyone encounter a good wine..in a box?

hahah..

simmmer down you wine snobs.

in a lot of ways, a box wine makes sense. for me, especially a white wine that i use more often for cooking. i've been buying a few. i had a few decent ones i got in a boutique wine shop in Denver..we took the bags out and backpacked them in..in the wild, with a campfire, totally exhausted, i think ANY wine is a good wine. i havent found one yet in the Bay Area, CA.

long shot?

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    hahah..

simmmer down you wine snobs.

in a lot of ways, a box wine makes sense. for me, especially a white wine that i use more often for cooking. i've been buying a few. i had a few decent ones i got in a boutique wine shop in Denver..we took the bags out and backpacked them in..in the wild, with a campfire, totally exhausted, i think ANY wine is a good wine. i havent found one yet in the Bay Area, CA.

long shot?

Mmmm, the joys of space bags, oh what fun we had in college.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    With 25 years in the Napa Valley wine industry, I have serious doubts you'll find anything worth drinking in a box. That said, I can't recommend cause I've never tried it, but you might start here, ya never know...and let us know if it's worth a crap:

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=1278900

Depends on what you mean by good, for parties the target whites in a box are OK for example, but even as an amateur home cook, I probably wouldn't serve them with a good meal I had worked hard to prepare :- )

The wine that comes from a box can be used for cooking. It's pretty reasonable, but I would never drink it.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Yeah, you should probably leave Robert Parker off your guest list. ;-)

After the first couple of glasses its all good to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    The wine that comes from a box can be used for cooking. It's pretty reasonable, but I would never drink it.
    I guess you don't go along with the old saw....never cook with wine that you wouldn't drink.

"good" is even more subjective than "value"

Where box wine is competitive is when comparing it to other cheap wines. I've had stuff out of a box that is just as "ok" as stuff from a <$10 bottle and the price per unit is lower in the box. Especially in the summer when i just want something light and inoffensive, I'll keep a back box pino gri or something similar in the fridge. Sometimes kinda crappy is kinda good.

Also, I have a shrimp dish that uses white wine that I've been making for years and with all different wines and the best by far is franzia white zin (the nati' ice of box wines).
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I am a snob of so many things, but wine is not one of them. The problem with wine is the difference between an (subjective) affordable wine and a truly exquisite wine is a lot of money. Once you drink it, there is no tangible evidence other than the bottle. I'd rather buy a nice bottle of rum for $40 than a similar priced bottle of wine. Of course if I were rich I would probably be saying the opposite.

The point is there are some decent boxed wines out there, if you don't have a snobbish palet (not a knock on the wine snobs, I understand the snobbish view in other things). Black box and Bota box are decent in some varieties.

Above all, even heard a somelier or two say this, is drink whatever you like and don't pay attention to the ratings (they are mostly paid for anyways).
    Jason