Rehandling a Miyabi 7000 MC 240 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was really curious about this steel so I couldn't resist the close out sale at cutlery and more.

The steel is, as promised in their advertising, nothing short of amazing, it's stays unbelievably sharp for a long time and then comes back to sharp really easy on my ceramic rod with a couple of strokes. IT can probably go a couple of months of medium usage before it actually needs anything but the rod I suspect...

It's also not chippy which I worried about given it is 66+ hrc--the geometry is Ok as well, one of the better symmetric grinds I have in my collection.

It's a damn fine cutter and I'd like to use it more than I am using it.

My problem is that while the balance is OK on the 240 (it truly sucked on the 210, the handle is horrid for me and makes it not very pleasant to use for long periods of time. I can't figure out what is wrong and it is confusing me since wa handles are usually not a problem when using a pinch grip..

So I am thinking of having it rehandled but looking at it I can't figure out if a rehandle is practical because I can't figure out how the handle is attached.

Has anyone rehandled one of these? If one of the craftsman here has done one and wants to PM me with a price to put a nice handle on it, I would be grateful as I do really like the steel and the geometry on this!

TIA

Seriously.... the handle was the exact reason I sold my Miyabi 7000MC. Unfortunately, the 600MCD (also in ZDP189) is only available as an 8-inch chefs.

Oh sheesh it is as bad as I thought inside the handle:

ergo, given the amount of work it must have been to do the welding, I suspect getting a pro to do it would be $$ prohibitive. Oh well, maybe I can just dip the darn thing in this?

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Anyone ever use this stuff??

One of the guys at work used the new plasti dip spray can to "paint" his rims black. Seems to be holding up really well, and you can simply peel it off when you get bored with it or it gets beat up.

I feel your pain. I bought a 7000MC 6" utility from C&M. Love the steel, the handle is a brick. Because of the handle this little 6" utility is the heaviest knife in my collection. Not being a pro chef (or any other kind of chef for that matter) I don't get hung up on balance that much, but this thing is redicules.

I have used the plasti dip to cover an all metal handle of a tenderizing mallet & it worked rather well. I also use to use plasti dip to mark the end of my knives, for indentification purposes.

I have used the plasti dip to cover an all metal handle of a tenderizing mallet & it worked rather well. I also use to use plasti dip to mark the end of my knives, for indentification purposes.

Is it safe to use over wood handles?

Back