Quantcast
do you prefer aogami #1/#2 to aogami super in a pro kitchen? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you prefer aogami #1/#2 to aogami super in a pro kitchen?

steel isnt as important as other factors, to me. my problem with augami super is there isnt alot of really good makers using it.

understand the steel characteristics is also important when you choose a knife!!
    blue#2 increase amount of carbon(C) become Blue#1(hardness increase but toughness decrease)
    Blue#1 increase amount of carbon(C), Chromium(Cr) & Tungsten(W) become blue super(increasing hardness & edge retention, decreasing sharpenability)
    depend on your preference in pro kitchen; as home cook, I prefer/love blue super more than blue#2(never used blue#1)
    *blue super steel about 1.8x more cost than blue#1 steel in japan....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Just about every poster has already mentioned it, but it all depends on the maker.

Takeda does a really impressive job with blue super, but I havn't use any other knives, so I dont know if Takeda is that much better than anyone else.

Ive seen a huge variance in the blue 1 and 2 knives that I've used. Blue 2 is supposed to be tougher than 1, but I had a knife out of it that had pieces just fall out of the edge every time I looked at it sideways. I also have a blue #2 deba that has pretty fantastic edge retention and great edge retention as well. I've had a blue #1 Zakurai the felt harder than my Takeda, but would microchip if used carelessly. My newest knife is one of the new Gesshin "badass" models in blue #1 and the HT is incredible hard, crazy sharp, but astonishing forgiving and (thankfully) tough and resilient enough to resist damage when I promptly buried the paper-thin tip in my cutting board during the first run.

Buy based on knife and maker, not steel.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    steel isnt as important as other factors, to me. my problem with augami super is there isnt alot of really good makers using it.
    Agree!

Any Mono steel carbon,if you don't mind spending a little extra go for the AS.I agree wt. Brad AS steel is not hard to sharpen

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Any Mono steel carbon,if you don't mind spending a little extra go for the AS.I agree wt. Brad AS steel is not hard to sharpen
    Why mono steel?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I also have a blue #2 deba that has pretty fantastic edge retention and great edge retention as well.
    Okay, but how's the edge retention?

What I mean is unclad,no reason in particular,just my preferance,thin carbons for most production work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    i buy white, because it's cheap, gets sharp as hell and is incredibly easy to touch up, which will it will need often, very often
    Says it all. I don't have any blue Japanese style knives. Blue gyuto, yes (Ao & #2), but I don't really see any advantage of one over the other.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter