Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: japan wood worker

I got 2 shig's pre-acq, my yanagi had a few tiny chips near the tip, and the tip was a bit banged up. But, honestly, going across the continent that is a seriously fragile knife tip, I was upset about it, but never complained to them as I understand it was most likely in shipping. The gyuto I got was flawless and cheaper than most, other than my gyuto I received from Hide. I believe my 360 shig kitaeji yanagi was about the cost of a 210 kitaeji wa gyuto nowadays though. I can't speak on them now, but if you are after a shig and they actually have it in stock I would probably try and grab it, they aren't likely to be stocking them like they used to. Seems like they are still reliable to order from, but less kitchen oriented?

Were their website lacking useful description on the knifes all the time? I took a look around and it's quite difficult for me to spend a nice sum on a knifes you practically know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    Were their website lacking useful description on the knifes all the time? I took a look around and it's quite difficult for me to spend a nice sum on a knifes you practically know nothing about.
    That is why you are here - if you are interested in a particular knife, chances are one or several of the knuts here have tried it out.

/\
    ||
    Touche

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Well they haven't answered my email concerning my flawed Shig yet. I'll give it another day or so before I have an opinion.
    On top of all the previous comments, JWW was always a brick & mortar store...that added internet sales. Their on-line service and support was usually flawed, kinda like if your grandpa got internet and e-mail...at the age of 85.
    While your e mails to JWW could end up completely ignored, their support and service was outstanding if you actually picked up the phone and called them. Your issue could be interesting...if you purchased your knife pre-buyout. Your best solution may be direct with Shige, but either way, I'd say flawed e-mail service was a "characteristic" at JWW, so pick up the phone

Quote Originally Posted by mikemac View Post
    On top of all the previous comments, JWW was always a brick & mortar store...that added internet sales. Their on-line service and support was usually flawed, kinda like if your grandpa got internet and e-mail...at the age of 85.
    While your e mails to JWW could end up completely ignored, their support and service was outstanding if you actually picked up the phone and called them. Your issue could be interesting...if you purchased your knife pre-buyout. Your best solution may be direct with Shige, but either way, I'd say flawed e-mail service was a "characteristic" at JWW, so pick up the phone
    that was surprising, i recently emailed them about the availability of shigs, got reply pretty quickly.

I called them today after not receiving a reply to my emails. The CSR was very apologetic about the delay and is refunding me for the flawed Shig! No complaints here!
    ~Brandon

That's great to hear that they provided a solution for you. Looks like they are going to get my business soon enough. Unfortunate about the shig though