japan wood worker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramenlegend

Reaction score
anybody ever use japanwoodworker.com/? I've never herd any reviews on their "service", but it seems like their inventory is decent. Just wondering if they are a reliable distributor.

I've ordered from them a few times. Never had any issues.

I have used them before. Good company. Also have good prices on Shig's and Takagi honyaki's.

. Been around for a looooog time. Reliable the three or more times I've used them. Don't forget their beautiful tools...chisels, saws, etc.

Well they haven't answered my email concerning my flawed Shig yet. I'll give it another day or so before I have an opinion.

Well they haven't answered my email concerning my flawed Shig yet. I'll give it another day or so before I have an opinion.

Damn augerpro, I just read your post and I'm sorry to see that on a shig. I was actually looking to pull the trigger on a Yanagi from that site. Please keep us updated on what they say.

yep, bought out, nomore retail store so a lot of folks that have been working there for decades are there no longer. They kept most of the knife inventory but my guess is they will be selling what they have left. shame really, was an awesome store.

The original owner of jww seemed to do okay with shigs but the company was bought last year by woodcraft and the folks handling the knives are not particularly knowledgeable. They were sending some folks over, so I was told, to hang out with the Shig folks but I didn't hear anything after that. I would think that Shig would be very interested in this knife so if you have the time you could try to get those pics to them.

Japan Woodworker was acquired by the woodworking chain, Woodcraft, a while ago. I'm not sure how this will affect their knife selection. I'll say that I purchased woodworking tools from them many times in the past. It was nice to do business with a mom and pop store. Their service was great. I've had not such great experiences buying tools from Woodcraft.

Too bad, now I feel I should have bought more from them... My local Woodcraft is o.k. -nice folks - but the selection is far from exotic.

Stefan

I purchased from the site prior to the acquisition and had absolutely no problems. Not sure about it now, but I do know that they keep sending me catalogs.

I picked up my shig pre-acq - my only recommendation woutld be to call to check on inventory for what you want. I know a few people who ordered from them and they were put on the waiting list but JWW still took the money upfront for a web site order.

Just a little story: When one of our KKF guys on the waiting list at jww decided to pass (it was taking about a year to get your choice of knife) I was next on the list. So Elaine at jww calls me asks if I'm interested. She also said that the funniest thing happened: After she talked to the first guy, she got like 40 calls on the knife and she didn't understand how this was happening - haha - and I told her that he posted on KKF about the knife being available :)

The quality of their tools is OK, and it's also an OK place to get stones, but prices are skyrocketing IMO. some planes have gone up 50% from $500 to 750 and similar story to their premium chisels. But they have a good selection of pull-saws and random things ex bonsai shears you will have trouble finding elsewhere. The gem of their collection IMO is the natural finish stones.. they're calling awase-to. I got the grade 5 (not the top) and it's ridiculous for knife sharpening. It's too soft IMO for woodworking tools though, except just for a very light polish. Excellent mud, great if not superb for kasumi polishing. And kasumi stones can get pretty pricey!!

I picked up my shig pre-acq - my only recommendation woutld be to call to check on inventory for what you want. I know a few people who ordered from them and they were put on the waiting list but JWW still took the money upfront for a web site order.

My understanding is that JWW requires payment up front but guarantees the price at that point. Personally, I prefer that over being charged market price when the knife comes in. I'm eyeing that 210 KU nakiri myself:D.

More to the point, I just bought a couple of chisels from them, had no problems.

The original owner of jww seemed to do okay with shigs but the company was bought last year by woodcraft and the folks handling the knives are not particularly knowledgeable. They were sending some folks over, so I was told, to hang out with the Shig folks but I didn't hear anything after that. I would think that Shig would be very interested in this knife so if you have the time you could try to get those pics to them.

+1 JWW used to have a small shop in Alameda (near San Francisco but other side of the bay for those not familiar with the Bay area). They had some pretty knowledgeable staff and an eclectic inventory of higher end woodworking gear and some kitchen gear. The owner retired and sold the store to Woodcraft this last year. Now they're purely mail order but Woodcraft is keeping the JWW brand alive as part of its group of sites/stores.

I went into their store probably 10 years ago and walked out with a Shig Kitaeji mioroshi deba. Knife guy back then in the store knew his stuff.... Now, based on a phone call a few months ago, not so much. No knock against them, woodcraft staff are usually pretty knowledgeable about woodworking products, but the knife side of JWW's product line is new to them.

I got 2 shig's pre-acq, my yanagi had a few tiny chips near the tip, and the tip was a bit banged up. But, honestly, going across the continent that is a seriously fragile knife tip, I was upset about it, but never complained to them as I understand it was most likely in shipping. The gyuto I got was flawless and cheaper than most, other than my gyuto I received from Hide. I believe my 360 shig kitaeji yanagi was about the cost of a 210 kitaeji wa gyuto nowadays though. I can't speak on them now, but if you are after a shig and they actually have it in stock I would probably try and grab it, they aren't likely to be stocking them like they used to. Seems like they are still reliable to order from, but less kitchen oriented?

Were their website lacking useful description on the knifes all the time? I took a look around and it's quite difficult for me to spend a nice sum on a knifes you practically know nothing about.

Were their website lacking useful description on the knifes all the time? I took a look around and it's quite difficult for me to spend a nice sum on a knifes you practically know nothing about.

That is why you are here :doublethumbsup:- if you are interested in a particular knife, chances are one or several of the knuts here have tried it out.

On top of all the previous comments, JWW was always a brick & mortar store...that added internet sales. Their on-line service and support was usually flawed, kinda like if your grandpa got internet and e-mail...at the age of 85.
While your e mails to JWW could end up completely ignored, their support and service was outstanding if you actually picked up the phone and called them. Your issue could be interesting...if you purchased your knife pre-buyout. Your best solution may be direct with Shige, but either way, I'd say flawed e-mail service was a "characteristic" at JWW, so pick up the phone

On top of all the previous comments, JWW was always a brick & mortar store...that added internet sales. Their on-line service and support was usually flawed, kinda like if your grandpa got internet and e-mail...at the age of 85.
While your e mails to JWW could end up completely ignored, their support and service was outstanding if you actually picked up the phone and called them. Your issue could be interesting...if you purchased your knife pre-buyout. Your best solution may be direct with Shige, but either way, I'd say flawed e-mail service was a "characteristic" at JWW, so pick up the phone
that was surprising, i recently emailed them about the availability of shigs, got reply pretty quickly.

I called them today after not receiving a reply to my emails. The CSR was very apologetic about the delay and is refunding me for the flawed Shig! No complaints here!

That's great to hear that they provided a solution for you. Looks like they are going to get my business soon enough. Unfortunate about the shig though :(

Latest posts

Back