Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about natural stones

I hope you didn't pay anywhere near 425.20 Nakaoka was asking for.

At least you can try digging it out, if it happens to scratch the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    I hope you didn't pay anywhere near 425.20 Nakaoka was asking for.

At least you can try digging it out, if it happens to scratch the blade.
    No I think I paid $170. So hopefully it wasn't a complete loss. How would you go about digging them out. Figure it's worth a try if the other alternative is finger stones.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

If lines reddish rust colored then they usually never do much. Also many mistake toxic lines with hard lines. Hard lines can be fixed with proper flattening. Flatten your stone very well and smoothen it with some naguras or higher synthetics stone then try it out

Try it out on hard edge inky with a lot of pressure if it will chip your edge then you a very bad toxic stone, if it just scratch the finish of softer steel then you might have hard lines or to hard stone

PS not all stones is good for fingerstones ! If stone is ted to hard it will ruin your finish in no time. It have to be quite soft stone to be used as fingerstones and from pics it seems like that one is not

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    If lines reddish rust colored then they usually never do much. Also many mistake toxic lines with hard lines. Hard lines can be fixed with proper flattening. Flatten your stone very well and smoothen it with some naguras or higher synthetics stone then try it out

Try it out on hard edge inky with a lot of pressure if it will chip your edge then you a very bad toxic stone, if it just scratch the finish of softer steel then you might have hard lines or to hard stone

PS not all stones is good for fingerstones ! If stone is ted to hard it will ruin your finish in no time. It have to be quite soft stone to be used as fingerstones and from pics it seems like that one is not
    Thanks maxim. I was going to contact you directly but figured you probably have a lot to catch up on. I'll give it a try.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

I flattened the stone and noticed the lines are red once I got it wet. Doesn't seem to leave any scratches. Actually leaves a pretty nice finish which really surprised me. Thanks for all the help. If anyone knows any more in depth resources where I can find out more about jnats please let me know. It's really has surprised me how little info I can find apart from maxims sight.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Right there with you. A lot of what I have read gets lost in my translation.
    Chewie's the man.

You can also read somewhere how a fav stone used by Shigefusa (ohira suita) has a large line that's been gouged out, and what a brilliant stone it still is and they use it all the time. Basically, it's not what you'd want at first, but doesn't mean you have to break it into fingerstones like many imagine, and that's often not appropriate. Experienced users aren't supposed to freak out. In fact, if you have an eye how to assess and deal with lines and incursions then I imagine you might be able to get some nice deals when you purchase compared to people who will pay premium prices for stones that appear pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    You can also read somewhere how a fav stone used by Shigefusa (ohira suita) has a large line that's been gouged out, and what a brilliant stone it still is and they use it all the time. Basically, it's not what you'd want at first, but doesn't mean you have to break it into fingerstones like many imagine, and that's often not appropriate. Experienced users aren't supposed to freak out. In fact, if you have an eye how to assess and deal with lines and incursions then I imagine you might be able to get some nice deals when you purchase compared to people who will pay premium prices for stones that appear pristine.
    That makes sense. The problem is I don't have any idea how to take the line out and can't find any information on how. Or much else about jnats.