Quantcast
Questions about natural stones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about natural stones

Questions about natural stones

I've just recently gootten into using natural finishing stones. It's been hard to find information on them though. I was wondering what it means when a
    Stone has a toxic line. I'm assuming it doesn't litterally mean toxic but I really have no idea. I bought I a stone on eBay that seemed like a really good deal and right after I bought it I noticed it said it had a toxic line. Was it a bad buy?
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

I beleive the term refers to something in the stone that is harder than the stone itself and may damage whatever you are sharpening.

they are parts of the stone where it scratches instead of sharpening... mineral deposits and whatnot. Sometimes even small pebbles.

Somone more experienced may correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a 'toxic line' refers to an inclusion in the stone that is harder than the surrounding stone, and can therefore scratch the finish of a knife whilst polishing. They can sometimes be 'scratched out' of the stone using a hard carbide point.

Maxim's JNS wiki is a great place to start reading about jnats, but I'm not sure if those articles cover this issue or not.

I guess you should just try out the stone on a knife that you don't mind getting scratched first to work out how harsh the inclusion is.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Do what maxum did when he found he got a toxic inclusion. He turned it into some finger stones.
    Chewie's the man.

I'd try digging it out. If it's not too big, it won't matter. Got pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Do what maxum did when he found he got a toxic inclusion. He turned it into some finger stones.
    +1. Finger stones for long time. Assuming you can't 'repair' it anyways...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

One of my stones has a toxic line, it is not really a big issue on my stone. The line does not wear as quickly as the rest of stone, so I have to occasionally cut the line out with an Xacto when the stone wears to the line.

Here's some pics. It's a Nakayama Suita. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  10.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  10.6 KB. If anyone knows how and if it can be repaired please let me know.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

looks like you got a bunch of quartzite lines all over it. finger stones maybe the answer here. try it out on a beater and found out what happens.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.