Quantcast
Why is this happening - sharpening ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this happening - sharpening ?

Why is this happening - sharpening ?

I was sharpening my petty and I got relatively nice and sharp edge. While I was doing the paper test I notices that at one point the knife gets stuck little bit, nothing much, but I decided to look under the pocket microscope. Here is the result - pics below. The knife was finished on 8K Imanishi stone with microbevel (the reflective part in last pic is the micro-bevel). This irregular pattern is about 1cm (0.4 inch) long. Other part of the bevel is smooth.
    Does anybody knows what is this? And if it's "bad" how to avoid it in future?

Pics of the same spot more or less with diff lighting:

Sorry I can't really tell much by the pics but have you considered it might be pieces of a wire edge still hanging around?

Two guess from me....

1. Edge damage that you didn't remove.

2. Burr or wire edge

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Mini chips, you didn't see b4 and missed while sharpening. I hate it when I do that.

I would try to de burr just incase.
    Chewie's the man.

I would be surprised if it would be edge damage, still can be though. I did not see any visible chips (even small ones) and I went 2K-5K-8K-strop on balsa raising feelable burr on 2 and 5K stones.
    As for the burr/wire edge that's more possible. I did not feel any with my fingers, it does not mean it is not there. What would be the best procedure to remove/avoid it? I usually strop on finishing stone and then naked leather or balsa.

Sorry for the quality of the pics; but I cant get any better - microscope is cheap and mobile phone camera not the best either

Some wire edges are extremely hard to remove. There are a bunch of options such as cutting into wood or cork. I personally find that stropping on felt is more effective at removing tough wire edges than leather.

That looks pretty clearly to be chipping. Try it again. Make sure you get a burr and if you see the same damage, let us know. That said, if you really believe it's a burr, you can easily tell by flipping the burr to the side and inspecting the reflection. If the burr doesn't flip to the side, it's not really a burr. It's just a bad sharpening job.

What knife is it? What steel is the knife made out of?

Hoss

Another thought is what angle (about) are you sharpening at? If you're sharpening at a real shallow angle you may be creating an edge that is too thin for the steel to handle. Had this same problem on my white #2 paring knife (micro-bevel didn't help). I raised the angle on the primary bevel just slightly (a degree or so) and the problem went away. Hope this helps.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Sponsors
    i get the sense people seem to think that microbevels are a fix-it-all solution. I just want to say they are not. They arent really burr removal tools (though they do help remove burrs), and they arent always the best idea for every knife. They are a very good idea on some knives and in some situations.

+ Reply to Thread