Quantcast
Suggestions for Gyuto(s) for the left-handed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Gyuto(s) for the left-handed.

Suggestions for Gyuto(s) for the left-handed.

I'm Brian from Singapore, I have been looking around the forums for a few months, only joined as a member about a month back. Am hoping to hear some suggestions on getting a workhorse (one that can take abuse) & a "fine" work gyuto for a lefty. That's right 2 gyutos.

Preferred length would be 225-240mm. I do not have a preference for handles, however would prefer it to be stainless but do not mind carbon steels. My max budget for the gyutos is 300USD each. I could pay more if it really attracts me.

I currently have these in my possession but am still looking for the "right" one:

240mm Sakai Takayuki 45-layer SS core
    240mm Hiromoto AS
    240mm Hattori FH
    240mm Fujiwara FKH

Thanks.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Well, welcome to the forum, Brian. Tho' I'll have to give some consideration to what to suggest to someone who already has four 240's. LOL

Konosuke HD2 for the "fine" one, although mine is also my work horse. Sakai Yusuke SS extra hardened would also be a good option.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

As you're a left-handed, I would suggest an originally left-handed blade, left face convex, right one flat, like the Masahiros, rather than a converted one, where only the edge got neutralized, if one may say so.

You could get a lefty Carbonext. Not sure what category it would fit into, kinda the middle

Sakai Yusuke beats all, imho. I believe I was Yusuke 'Patient Zero' way back when and I still have my original White #2 240mm Wa-Gyuto - I just pulled it out and I still cannot believe how perfect it is in every single way for the price I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Sakai Yusuke beats all, imho. I believe I was Yusuke 'Patient Zero' way back when and I still have my original White #2 240mm Wa-Gyuto - I just pulled it out and I still cannot believe how perfect it is in every single way for the price I paid.
    I remember you extolling the virtues of Yusuke's convex grind before convex grinds were all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    Konosuke HD2 for the "fine" one, although mine is also my work horse. Sakai Yusuke SS extra hardened would also be a good option.
    I am actually considering between both the KonoHD2 and the Sakai Yusuke. Not really sure which would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    As you're a left-handed, I would suggest an originally left-handed blade, left face convex, right one flat, like the Masahiros, rather than a converted one, where only the edge got neutralized, if one may say so.
    Actually I prefer to buy a knife with a 50/50 edge instead as I'm used to it already and do not really know how to sharpen knives with a biased edge.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    You could get a lefty Carbonext. Not sure what category it would fit into, kinda the middle
    I've saw the great reviews on the Carbonext but am considering of getting something that has a 50/50 edge instead.

Actually now I am considering in getting a Moritaka/Takeda 240mm gyuto, after reading tons of reviews I am afraid to get the Moritaka because of the grinding issues but its almost half the price of a Takeda.

I'm looking into something like the DT ITK, but it seems extremely hard to acquire one and the waiting list is crazy.

Anyway thank you all for the advise/suggestions given. Would not mind if more people could chime in and give a few more suggestions

I am left handed and have been using Japanese knives for about 10 years. I can't honestly say I've ever had a problem with any gyuto I have used. Even ones advertised as 70/30 grind have been fine, no steering issues or other problems as far as I can tell. For a workhorse I have settled on a Gesshin Heiji from Jon Broida at JKI, but this is perhaps beyond your limit financially. Jon has other, less expensive knives and I would start with JKI. The Gesshin Ginga is reputed to be a thin blade but I have not tried these. To me the "handedness" of most double beveled knives is very exaggerated and, except in the case of extreme asymmetrical grinds, unimportant to the overall function of the knife. I'm not sure a gyuto with one convex side and one flat side really makes any sense or difference.

Single bevel knives are a different story.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by brianlsx View Post

Actually I prefer to buy a knife with a 50/50 edge instead as I'm used to it already and do not really know how to sharpen knives with a biased edge.
    Then please don't buy a Japanese blade--they are all asymmetric (though there may be an exception that I'm not aware of). If you can sharpen a symmetric blade then you can also sharpen asymmetric--just ask if you're not sure.

And please save yourself the potential nightmare of buying a Moritaka.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...