Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is a sous vide machine worth the $?

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I'm a home cook and I love my machine but it is really cheap to try: you can get into it for about $100 by buying a dorkfood thingy - if you have a cheap slow or rice cooker around - has to be an older analog not digital model, see there web site ...
    Thanks for the info! Since reading about the technique on this site I have been interested but not willing to shell out the big bucks. This looks like it will be a fun unit to play with for my home cooking.

This. Total cost: ~$130.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    I'm a home cook and I love my machine but it is really cheap to try: you can get into it for about $100 by buying a dorkfood thingy - if you have a cheap slow or rice cooker around - has to be an older analog not digital model, see there web site ...
    Also, as I've played with it (only a little so far) and tried to wrap my head around it I think what you get with Sous Vide is:

1) very consistent doneness throughout the thickness of the item.
    2) very precise, repeatable process/product.
    3) ability to time-shift the majority of the cooking, in a very effective way. (particularly for proteins)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Have been wanting to try this, but not sure about how I was wanting to achieve it. How accurate is this?

http://www.dorkfood.com/
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Have been wanting to try this, but not sure about how I was wanting to achieve it. How accurate is this?

http://www.dorkfood.com/
    In my limited experience, it depends on duration. It seems to take about 6 hours to truly stabilize...after that, it maintained within 1 degree F.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I guess that would be the controlling of the crock pot/cooking. Which makes sense.
    Chewie's the man.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I think it is, but I have the means. There are cheaper options. It's fun and fascinating to try science food projects.
    Jason

Yes, deft to with the poly science creative series. Does five gallons is 399. Perfect for home and light professional use