Which size siphon and charges

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I wanted to grab a siphon to mess around with, any input as far as size is concerned. I was thinking of grabbing the pint sized one but I am wondering if I would be limited by the size so I may be better served by the quart sized one. I know you cant fill them completely so would the extra space be an asset for home use. I mostly ask for pressure infusing or applications other than whipped cream.

I was also wondering if I should buy the isi branded n20 and C02 or if the more generic cheaper ones I found online are of equal quality. Just looking mainly for actual user feedback and suggestions.

Thanks
Jared

I think all restaurant buy the same ISI ones but there is really no difference. we just respond poorly to change in our daily routine and its amazing what the color change of a packing box will do to a line cooks day. so for that you can get whats cost efficient to buy I would say.

On volume. I always consider that you are working with the middle 50% as the best results. IMO/experience, if you under fill to the bottom 25% volume you either wont get enough pressure/charge or you have to throw an extra charge in and its not quite the same. on the flyp side. if you fill too much, over the 75/80% or just close to the fill line. there isn't enough space and I don't think the liquid responds to the charge as well. as a line cook I always ran 2 cans charged to less than the max fill line opposed to filling to the max fill line and running one can. I just think you get a better product if you work in the 30-75% range of a 0-100% volume.

so using that thought. whats the total volume you want to work with? do you want to compress 16-24oz on average? then get the quart. if you are thinking about doing 8-10/11 oz on average? then go pint

I generally find the smaller one to be sufficient unless we have a lot of people over (if making whipped cream). My mother in law has the bigger one, so I have it available if need be. For general sauces and foams, I find that the smaller size is more than sufficient as a home cook. You can always order a larger (smaller) container online because the tops are interchangable.

I'll be saving this for a later purchase :)

Back