Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FT/FS: Watanabe Yanagi Custom Handle / Azuma Minamoto Yanagi / Suisin Momiji Funayuki

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I found this site, but I don't think the locater works.

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Resta...ights=&people=
    Chewie's the man.

Providence received 2 stars from the Michelin guide in 2009. The guide has since stopped rating LA for whatever reason. I don't think Brad was trying to be insulting, just curious/questioning because currently only New York, Chicago and San Francisco/Wine Country are rated by the guide.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Providence received 2 stars from the Michelin guide in 2009. The guide has since stopped rating LA for whatever reason. I don't think Brad was trying to be insulting, just curious/questioning because currently only New York, Chicago and San Francisco/Wine Country are rated by the guide.
    I figured as much, after seeing his comment in the morning I totally overreacted. I tend to be grumpy at 6am, at least until the first cup of coffee kicks in lol

Good food doesn't need the approval of Michelin inspectors to be good food. Heck, the moment Robuchon puts his name over the door somewhere it gets starred, yet places that do amazing things with food consistently get ignored or glossed over. Food snobbery is never a good thing.

Not 100% on this, but I'm willing to bet once stars are given, they are there until taken away. Doesn't change the caliber of cooking at these places, however.

Anyhow, like I said earlier, no hard feelings here Brad. Hope you feel the same.

No bad feelings at all. I know there are places on par with two star Michelin here in San Diego but they don't get them. I was kind of excited when you said there were stars there honestly. I am obsessed with the Michelin stars. And good for you on those stages man. Cheers!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Michelin is a joke. I have been in many Michelin restaurants here around the Europe and i have been quite disappointed in many of them. In France almost every small town have one. In DK they only come to Copenhagen
    In Spain i seen some very crapy restaurants get one.
    It is very good excuse for bad restaurant to raise prices

^lol I do agree it's not a reliable way to gauge food quality. But for cooks lookin to build their resumes, it makes a difference in getting your application noticed when there are thousands of resumes sent in all the time to places like The French Laundry or Numa or La Tour d'Argent or whatnot.

I still have a dream to work in a three star restaurant before I'm too old to hold my own on the line.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Agree, even thought Noma was best restaurant 3 years in a raw it only have 2 stars :P However some top restaurants like noma, French Laundry, El bulli did not get popular by Michelin at all

My first experience ever with Michelin was in Paris, Was very fancy restaurant, with silver table where beautiful locals waiters was all in suits and polite. That place looked for milliners and VIP
    We got served some boring mussels, steak with French fries and grilled tomato :P and at last some burned creme brulee. All in price tag of Nomas big menu

It's pretty insane how Michelin works. It's unknown really, but it seems they grade you in the type of food you make and how good it could be to that particular cuisine. So if it were a steakhouse per se and it had the highest grade beef cooked well and the service was outstanding, it would be fine to put a random shaped ribeye on a plate and say its worthy of three stars. While Noma pushes the envelopes of all culinary possibilities and its food is some sort of fusion at all times because it is nothing that has been done yet. So it is only worth 2

Update: everything shipped today, at work now will get tracking numbers out when I get home