• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FT/FS: Watanabe Yanagi Custom Handle / Azuma Minamoto Yanagi / Suisin Momiji Funayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pains me to do this but changes in career plans and the shift to a Western kitchen require me to swap some single bevels for double bevels. These are knives that never saw much use in my possession and are in great condition overall. Prefer trades, all prices are shipped CONUS.

Currently searching for trades: good conditon, solid workhorse type knives in good shape (Shig, Kato, KS, Watanabe, Heiji, Suisin IH, Kono HD, etc.) can add some cash on top or work out package deals

1. Gyuto 240-270mm
2. Petty 120-150mm (stainless or semi)
3. Sujihiki 270-300mm

Wa-handles preferred, will consider all offers. Thanks!

1. Watanabe Yanagi White2 270mm w/ Stefan Keller Handle (Burled stabilized autograph wood) $390

2. Suisin Dreamcraft Momiji Funayuki Ginsanko3 210mm $290

3. Azuma Minamoto Yanagi Blue1 (could use a handle replacement, original is too small - can do this at JKI before sale at buyer expense or if a trade would work out with it) $220

All 3 have sayas and original boxes.

Pics after work tonight, thanks!

pics of the the watanabe? interested, may have a suisin inox 240 in trade

I'm interested in the Azumi Yanagi. Do you have pictures and some more specs of the knife? Thanks.

pics of the the watanabe? interested, may have a suisin inox 240 in trade

These are not my pics, they are of the knife when new (hope stefan doesnt mind me using these pics - please let me know if so)

http://www.skeller.info/handles/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=451

The knife has since been sharpened and given a micro bevel, it is evenly ground and the handle is still in very good shape. This is more of a looker and I never really used it. I will have my own pics up late tonight.

I've added a generic saya + ebony pin.

For a Suisin IH 240 with stock handle, please pm me to work out details. Thanks!

No problem at all, I'm just glad the link works, some things have been scrambled on my website after the last software update. GLWS,

Stefan

I'll Take Watanabe Yanagi Custom Handle if its still available at $390. Tried PMing you, but box is full.

JIM

Would love the Watanabe Yanagi......Have a 270 Suisin Inox Honyaki Gyuto for trade. Pm if interested......

Just got home at 1am from a stage at a 2 star michelin kitchen in Los Angeles. This, after my 6am full time day job. Dead tired, pics are going up tomorrow.

for some reason there is no actual michelin stars in LA.

You are mistaken. Badly. Dont you dare insult the hardworking cooks and chefs in this city working at world class calibers. Check your facts before you post. Plus, this is off topic so why are you even flapping your internet lips in my FS thread?

Anyways,

Suisin sold
Watanabe sold
Azuma is pending.

Thanks everyone, will keep y'all updated.

providence?

Yes sir. What an adrenaline rush it was, they asked for another stage, as Chef Cimarusti is on vacay till next week. Fingers are crossed! :D

All payments received. Will be shipping these ASAP and getting tracking numbers to all buyers. It will be no later than Monday as I have run out of boxes and have another stage on Saturday (can't make it to WCG as a result :( ).

Oh and BTW Brad, its at another michelin starred spot in Los Angeles. No hard feelings here, apologies for the harsh words buddy.

Thanks again y'all!

Yeah... i have a few friends in that kitchen... badass place to work... congrats. And congrats on the sales.

Pete -- you should have told me you needed help with the boxes. I've been stockpiling them.

Where are these stars posted? I don't see any restaurants from LA on the guide, that's why I said it. I think it would be awesome if they had stars in LA, it would give San Diego hope. I heard that the guide was there for a few years but they dropped it. Sorry if I offended but please show me where I can find the restaurants with stars.

Providence received 2 stars from the Michelin guide in 2009. The guide has since stopped rating LA for whatever reason. I don't think Brad was trying to be insulting, just curious/questioning because currently only New York, Chicago and San Francisco/Wine Country are rated by the guide.

Providence received 2 stars from the Michelin guide in 2009. The guide has since stopped rating LA for whatever reason. I don't think Brad was trying to be insulting, just curious/questioning because currently only New York, Chicago and San Francisco/Wine Country are rated by the guide.

I figured as much, after seeing his comment in the morning I totally overreacted. I tend to be grumpy at 6am, at least until the first cup of coffee kicks in lol

Good food doesn't need the approval of Michelin inspectors to be good food. Heck, the moment Robuchon puts his name over the door somewhere it gets starred, yet places that do amazing things with food consistently get ignored or glossed over. Food snobbery is never a good thing.

Not 100% on this, but I'm willing to bet once stars are given, they are there until taken away. Doesn't change the caliber of cooking at these places, however.

Anyhow, like I said earlier, no hard feelings here Brad. Hope you feel the same.

No bad feelings at all. I know there are places on par with two star Michelin here in San Diego but they don't get them. I was kind of excited when you said there were stars there honestly. I am obsessed with the Michelin stars. And good for you on those stages man. Cheers!

Michelin is a joke. I have been in many Michelin restaurants here around the Europe and i have been quite disappointed in many of them. In France almost every small town have one. In DK they only come to Copenhagen
In Spain i seen some very crapy restaurants get one.
It is very good excuse for bad restaurant to raise prices

^lol I do agree it's not a reliable way to gauge food quality. But for cooks lookin to build their resumes, it makes a difference in getting your application noticed when there are thousands of resumes sent in all the time to places like The French Laundry or Numa or La Tour d'Argent or whatnot.

I still have a dream to work in a three star restaurant before I'm too old to hold my own on the line.

Agree, even thought Noma was best restaurant 3 years in a raw it only have 2 stars :p However some top restaurants like noma, French Laundry, El bulli did not get popular by Michelin at all

My first experience ever with Michelin was in Paris, Was very fancy restaurant, with silver table where beautiful locals waiters was all in suits and polite. That place looked for milliners and VIP :)
We got served some boring mussels, steak with French fries and grilled tomato :p and at last some burned creme brulee. All in price tag of Nomas big menu :eyebrow:

It's pretty insane how Michelin works. It's unknown really, but it seems they grade you in the type of food you make and how good it could be to that particular cuisine. So if it were a steakhouse per se and it had the highest grade beef cooked well and the service was outstanding, it would be fine to put a random shaped ribeye on a plate and say its worthy of three stars. While Noma pushes the envelopes of all culinary possibilities and its food is some sort of fusion at all times because it is nothing that has been done yet. So it is only worth 2

Back