Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless yanagi rundown.

stainless yanagi rundown.

hi all,

I'Ve tinkered around with the idea of taking some boat work in the future cooking and that led me to assessing my kit for the ocean. i brought a semi stainless knife for a 3 month stint in the caribbean on a boat and had to be pretty vigilant to keep it in good condition. naturally working on a boat, you would come across a lot of fish. that leads me to my question of who has owned or currently owns a stainless yanagi? what are your guys recommendations and impressions? the only one that really comes to mind is a suisin inox but i'd love to hear about others both on the low and high end. thanks!

What size fish are you catching? I would think a ajikiri or a deba would be more useful on a fishing boat for butchering tasks. The Yanagiba is not made for contact with bones so it may get chippy real fast on you if you use it for butchering. A yo deba or mioroshi might be up your alley too!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

sorry that was probably unclear, meant doing culinary work on private yachts and for charters. so i would have a full kitwith me but trying to have stainless. this is all hypothetical by the way, no imminent plans yet just seeing whats out there since as much as i love suisin itd be fun tohave a bit of variety.

neither have nor used a yanagi, but i do see that there are some tanaka g3 yanagis on ebay

never used a tanaka or g3 steel any thoughts?

suisin inox honyaki?
    lots of great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by pleue View Post
    never used a tanaka or g3 steel any thoughts?
    tanaka g3 is good stuff. really good edge retention.

Gesshin stainless damascus yanagiba? I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure Jon would give you the low down
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-yanagiba.html
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Fujiwara Kanefusa FKV series in V-Gold stainless: $110-193.00. Alternatively, Masahiro 'Bessen' and 'G' series.

Sugimoto CM series? Used the steel which I really liked, though I've never used it in a single bevel.

There's also some beautiful Hattori yanagiba over at JCK at the moment, think there's just the VG-10 one left though. Speaking of which, Koki also has limited runs from Takeshi Saji (though you're paying alot for the lacquer handle and saya), aswell as the more basic stag and bamboo handled ones in Gin3. Also the Masamoto VG series.

Cheers,
    Josh