Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wa-petty suggestions, or all around utility knife

Oh, it's already too late!

Tinh, you're right, but I just wanted to make it even scarier!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Fwiw I owned a Zakuri petty. I thought it was too reactive for a petty. Especially considering that I often used my petty for fruit and other reactive foods.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Fwiw I owned a Zakuri petty. I thought it was too reactive for a petty. Especially considering that I often used my petty for fruit and other reactive foods.
    That's a good point, I pretty much use semi or stainless steel for fruit.

Not doing much fruit slicing, and besides, this gives me a reason to buy a stainless petty down the line...

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Not doing much fruit slicing, and besides, this gives me a reason to buy a stainless petty down the line...
    other than the reactivity, zakuri is a fine choice. i just wanted to point that out. is kochi any more or less reactive than zakuri out of curiousity? anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    other than the reactivity, zakuri is a fine choice. i just wanted to point that out. is kochi any more or less reactive than zakuri out of curiousity? anybody know?
    I have both. I've never done a side by side test but for the most part it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. No difference that really jumps out.

For a cheap stainless petty, take a look at the Tanaka ginsanko. It's a great knife for something under $40. I've cooked a whole meal with it.

Since you prefer carbon, check out the Masamoto KS 165mm petty in W2 from JCK. $197 w/ saya. That extra 15mm is really helpful at times, and it has a great profile.
    -Matt

I would recommend a takeda petty. I use one daily and think it has little to no reactivity so that would never be an issue. It also has an intensely sharp edge and retains it for quite a while.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller