Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I built a strop too

Don't tell me that you came to ECG and didn't show me this strop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Don't tell me that you came to ECG and didn't show me this strop.
    Haha, I did have it with me but forgot all about it. I had my Aritsugu that I put a Stefan handle on too and forgot about that as well. Doh!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Haha, I did have it with me but forgot all about it. I had my Aritsugu that I put a Stefan handle on too and forgot about that as well. Doh!

What the?

The design is no doubt clever as mentioned earlier, nice work!

I like it. Have you put anti-skid feet on your strop base yet (or planning to)? And do you like the added height? It looks to be about 3.5 inches.

k.
    "What happened to those other underpants you had?" -- Flight of the Conchords

It is about 3.5" wide and 3" tall. Strops are about 12", total length of base is a little more than 13.5". I like the height of it.

I have not put any nonskid feet on it yet, I carry a nonskid mat in my bag to use under cutting boards and have just been using that. But I probably will at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I have not put any nonskid feet on it yet, I carry a nonskid mat in my bag to use under cutting boards and have just been using that. But I probably will at some point.
    I can send you some your way if you like, as a small compensation for being long overdue on your saya.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Now what you need is a rack that will keep your strops separate unless you don't care about contamination or you want to store them in plasic bags or something.
    Well, I only put compound on one side of each strop base, so I can stack them a bit. I was thinking about making little H shaped blocks so I could stack them all together and not have them touching. Right now I have a giant restaurant size roll of plastic wrap at my house, and I just wrap them in that when I am not using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Nice. I think I might have to steal that as well. Thanks.
    -M
    Steal away! You should have no problem producing one that is slightly better constructed than mine, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    That is very well done indeed! That is a design that begs to be stolen Pure genious and very "authentic" Japanese.
    How are the pieces for the base joined together?

DarkHOeK
    Glue and dowels.

It was never my intention to make it look like it was Japanese made, but I am happy with the way it looks.