Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Finally- Gesshin Jinzo Aoto (synthetic aoto)

  1. #11
    I tried this stone at the WCG using my Global G-2 which is my test knife. This stone put the kind of edge I like on my knives. It was toothy and aggressive, but finer than other medium grit stones I've used in the 1000 to 2000 range. I was really impressed with it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  2. #12
    I just picked one up, I will "try" to do a review when I get some time with it.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  3. #13
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    where in a progression would you use this stone?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    where in a progression would you use this stone?
    Great question! Jon, I currently use a Gesshin 400, 2000 and 4000, where would I use the Jinzo?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    washington dc
    Posts
    1,426
    synthetic aoto i use right now is a hard splash n go, it leaves a good edge but i hate how it feels.
    muddy medium splash n go is just what ive been looking for.
    what grit would you say this leaves? im looking for 2000-3000 as a good spot to finish at. would love to try the gesshin 2000 but its a soaker.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    I just broke mine out for the first time. I think I'm gonna use it as a strict wide bevel stone. So sweet... I'll continue to use harder stones to prep my cutting edges.

  7. #17
    I use mine as a medium grit stone (in place of any stones in the 1-4k range)... i can follow it up with something else finer, but if i want to maintain the look, i only use the finer stone along the edge (unless its another stone that leaves a nice kausmi finish).

  8. #18
    Senior Member mpukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gyptuckey, CO
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I use mine as a medium grit stone (in place of any stones in the 1-4k range)... i can follow it up with something else finer, but if i want to maintain the look, i only use the finer stone along the edge (unless its another stone that leaves a nice kausmi finish).
    That's what I was wondering - if you use it for actual sharpening, or just for aesthetic finish. Thanks Jon. mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    synthetic aoto i use right now is a hard splash n go, it leaves a good edge but i hate how it feels.
    muddy medium splash n go is just what ive been looking for.
    what grit would you say this leaves? im looking for 2000-3000 as a good spot to finish at. would love to try the gesshin 2000 but its a soaker.
    this one is not quite splash at go... it need a quick soak for sure... maybe 5 minutes or so

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    That's what I was wondering - if you use it for actual sharpening, or just for aesthetic finish. Thanks Jon. mpp
    both is the answer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •