Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another new stone... the Gesshin 3000 (a true splash and go stone)

Another new stone... the Gesshin 3000 (a true splash and go stone)

Just added a new stone on our site... the #Gesshin 3000... here's the product description:
    The Gesshin™ 3000 Grit Sharpening Stone is a very different kind of stone from most that I have seen on the market. These stones are entirely splash and go... they require no soak whatsoever. Just a splash of water and they are ready to go. In fact, its very important that these stones are not soaked, as they will fall apart. You will notice that the stones are lacquered on all sides but one. The non-lacquered surface is usable surface (the opposite side from where our logo is). Because of the way these stones are bound together, they are a bit more brittle than the other stones we have in stock. It is very important to round the corners of the stone before and after flattening to prevent chipping along the edges.

This stone makes an excellent touch up stone. It is fast cutting, slow to dish, and provides an excellent edge, with a solid amount of bite. The polish this stone leaves also looks like a much higher grit than the 3000 grit would suggest (the edge is, however, clearly 3000 grit in feeling). Though it does not leave contrast between hagane and jigane, it does leave a very consistent and even polished edge. The alumina based abrasive works well on a wide variety of steels. The surface of the stone will look as if it is loading up while sharpening (i.e. it becomes blackish), but as you add water, you will notice that the stone does not load as it cuts.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...rit-stone.html

Top:

Bottom:

Front:

Side:

Measurements: 204mm x 64mm x 32mm

Weight: 914g

By the way, many of you know that I'm not want to push my products so hard, I think that this is really going blow a lot of people's minds. It's such an amazing stone to work with, and I have a feeling that as people start to use it there's going to be a lot of hype behind it. Plus, there are very few true splash-and-go stones out there, so I think this is going to get a lot of play for professionals looking for a stone to touch up their knives at work, and home cooks who aren't really interested in soaking their stones.

Jon - this sounds very interesting. One obvious questions begs to be asked - how does it compare to Gesshin 2000 and 4000 concerning the speed, the edge the stone leaves and dishing?

Oh - and one more - wouldn't it be cool if you could make a combo stone 600/3000 combo stone now that you have both? That is something I have been waiting for since a long, long time

One way or another - this stone will be part of my next order when that times comes

Compared to the gesshin 4000, it is about the same speed, or just slightly faster (but the gesshin 4k is very fast), and thus is obviously slower cutting than the 2k. The edge is more even and polished looking than either the gesshin 2k or 4k, and the edge is similar to that of the gesshin 4k (especially since the gesshin 4k leaves a particularly toothy edge). Dishing resistance is about on par too (though closer to the 4k than the 2k, but both are slow dishing), which is pretty cool. It feels like it should dish faster, but it doesnt. The 2k and 4k have a lot more grip or bite while sharpening on them... the 3k can feel a bit more slippery (or on the slippery side of creamy feeling would be more accurate).

As to the combo stone, this 3k can not be made into a combo stone so easily... you'll see when you get one. Its a very unique manufacturing process.

I would love to see a video for this stone if possible. And the Gesshin 400s while your at it

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I would love to see a video for this stone if possible. And the Gesshin 400s while your at it
    yeah... sorry i'm so far behind on work right now. As soon as i have time...

Thank you Jon. It does sound very interesting indeed. I guess that the 'creamy slippery' feel and the 'more polished' finish on the blade (when compared to 2k and 4k) are interconnected.

One more question - could this stone be used after something like Gesshin 400 or 600 - or would the gap be too large?

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Thank you Jon. It does sound very interesting indeed. I guess that the 'creamy slippery' feel and the 'more polished' finish on the blade (when compared to 2k and 4k) are interconnected.

One more question - could this stone be used after something like Gesshin 400 or 600 - or would the gap be too large?
    Honestly haven't tested it yet.... Be used it after 800 grit a lot, but not 400 or 600. I'll try when I'm at work tomorrow.

Thanks. I am looking forward to results of those tests

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    ok... worked late last night and shot a few videos. Here's the video for this new 3000 grit stone: