Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally- Gesshin Jinzo Aoto (synthetic aoto)

Finally- Gesshin Jinzo Aoto (synthetic aoto)

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this for a long time... its finally here (pics, measurements, and video coming soon...)
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...inzo-aoto.html

This is the stone i use most often to create beautiful misty finishes on knives i sharpen here at the store. Even when i do fake kasumi finishes (on solid steel knives), this stone is used. Here's an example:

I've also used it to create super smooth and even finishes on honyaki knife blade roads-

and here's a awase yanagiba (clad or 2-ply yanagiba) with a kasumi finish done on this stone:

we decided to have the stone be $5 off for the first month to make it a bit easier for people to try. The special price only lasts until aug 31st though.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

-Jon

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Dam, where is that pic. Pitonboy posted in the other thread. well anyway, look for my order soon. Love the look that leaves.
    Chewie's the man.

Is this the stone I tried out last year that made that kasumi finish so easily? There was one particular stone that I just couldn't believe so effortlessly produced that look. It was hard NOT to make a nice kasumi with it, lol.

I'll take one, if you don't mind carting one to the WCG.

Gee, and I was just sitting here wondering what I was going to spend this weeks paycheck on
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Do you recommend this stone also as a regular medium stone for primary bevel sharpening, or is it best used only for kasumi finishes?

I have done two single bevels with this stone and for whatever reason, it makes the kasumi ridiculously easy to accomplish; it probably outshines any number of other synthetic and natural stones in this regard. I could not be more impressed

Can you tell us more about this stone? is it just for kasumi finish or is it a good stone for double bevels as well? about what grit?

you can use it on regular double bevels, but as its really soft, i tend to prefer other stones. The exceptions to that would be honyaki knives (of course single bevel ones, but also gyutos, sujihikis, etc.), and super wear resistant/hard to sharpen steels. I use this stone on wide bevel knives and single bevel knives most. And its not just for kasumi finishing... it also happens to be just a great fast cutting medium grit stone.