Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone encounter a good wine..in a box?

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post

Above all, even heard a somelier or two say this, is drink whatever you like and don't pay attention to the ratings (they are mostly paid for anyways).

+1 so true.
    A good friend and somelier (did the work never took the test) and expert bartender (probably close to 40yrs exp) would daily have people sit down at his bar and ask "what's a good drink?" to which his first response was always "what do you like?"
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Well, don't get too high on your horses. There is a great difference between wines and some folks are rather good at differentiating between. It's all well and good to say....just drink what you like. I couldn't agree more. But when someone likes something which tastes like horse piss, I can't help but object to their good taste. ;-)

i have friends in the wine biz..i asked them the same question. not so sure they are still talking to me

backpacking, no wine is going with me in a bottle. not gonna happen. too heavy.

cooking? i can be perfectly happy with a non-crap wine..i dont need to build a pan sauce on a GREAT wine. i would go as far as to say..i refuse to dump a GREAT wine into food. i'd rather drink it. i quit drinking heavily, so i have quite the stash of GREAT wines in my wine fridge.

thanks...i am still looking.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    backpacking, no wine is going with me in a bottle. not gonna happen. too heavy.
    No reason too. Buy some wine you know is decent/to your taste, from previous experience, and put it in something which won't break. The box wines are in plastic after all. Shrug

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    The funny thing about wine in a box, is most places that make a sauce from wine is from a box. Very cost effective and has decent taste, easy to store too.
    Chewie's the man.

I'm not sure what the problem is; I drink wine from a box all the time. Sometimes the boxes are cardboard but other times they are made out of wood and the bottles inside come nicely wrapped in paper. Those wood box wines are usually pretty amazing

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corliss.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	17685  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is; I drink wine from a box all the time. Sometimes the boxes are cardboard but other times they are made out of wood and the bottles inside come nicely wrapped in paper. Those wood box wines are usually pretty amazing

k.
    No...No...you should have wrapped those in Saran wrap before pics. Box wine must be in plastic.

Trader Joe's has an extremely cheap boxed wine for $10 for 3L. They have a red and a white. I use them mostly for cooking, but they are also pretty darn quaffable. If I were served a glass of either at a restaurant, I would think that they were regular $10-15 retail bottles of wine. Is it '82 Chateau Cos D'Estournel? No. Do I happily play the "1 for you, 4 for me" game when I make coq au vin? Absolutely.

Buy what you want in bottles and bag it yourself!

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/spoutpak.html
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney