Stiffness in sujihikis: pros/cons?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perneto

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first sujihiki, and I'm not sure whether I want a more flexible, or stiffer one. Could you educate me on the pros and cons of both?

I don't know about real pros and cons but I find it disconcerting to have a blade flex a lot right where the blade comes out of the handle aka right where I'm holding it, KonHD wa suji, for example. Aside from that, the stiffer (and generally thicker) slicers I've tried have been nice for separation and drag reduction moreso than that actual flexion.

I don't know about real pros and cons but I find it disconcerting to have a blade flex a lot right where the blade comes out of the handle aka right where I'm holding it, KonHD wa suji, for example. Aside from that, the stiffer (and generally thicker) slicers I've tried have been nice for separation and drag reduction moreso than that actual flexion.

+1 I don't want flex in a Suji.

Only if you want to filet something.

I will also use a suji as my main knife if I have it out so I don't like too much flex.

Back