Quantcast
Heiji love - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Heiji love

Out of curiosity, what makes the Heji such an excellent cutter? In past discussions, the comments were more mixed. The main criticism was that a Heji was too thick.

Is this the kind of knife, where you need to be a fairly accomplished sharpener to unlock its potential?

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Yea but you also sharpen your knives drunk. Are you kidding? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    TK is my sensei.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Yea but you also sharpen your knives drunk. Are you kidding? LOL
    Have you seen EdipisReks's or Mike Pukas's sharpening? I have seen both.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Michael, Oh yea? How many drinks does it take EP to numb the pain in his thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Michael, Oh yea? How many drinks does it take EP to numb the pain in his thumb?
    Whatever he does, he does it well. EdipisReks is easily one of the better sharpeners I have seen from this forum. I've bought a Sabatier from him and seen a couple of other knives he's sharpened. He puts a consistent, even bevel, maintains the profile and can put a very nice, strong edge. He also knows how to sharpen Heijis.

And, I'm not just only person who has seen this. His sharpening ability has also been corroborated by others who are some of the best sharpeners on this forum. I would trust EdipisReks to sharpen my double bevel knives.
    Michael

Mike, I'm with ya and have never doubted your or EP word on anything. I trust him to sharpen my knives too. I just think that its insensitive for TK to bash MP, that's all.

I can sharpen bettter that you, Na Na Na Na.

Mike, I can consistenly put a very sharp, long lasting edge on my knives too. Ask Zweifle. When he came to my house last month on his cross-country tour, he said that my edges raised his expectations of sharp is.

That doesn't make me want to put him down. Know what i mean Mike?

Everyone needs to give it a rest. Capisce?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Deleted out of respect to ER.
    Michael

Now I'm curious to know what you're doing that your Heijis are your go-to knives for sweet potatoes, rutabagas, etc...Those are the only things I don't love cutting with my Heiji. No matter what I've tried, the first one or two cuts on a huge root aren't really all that smooth and there have been better knives for that.

I stuck with the Heijis in spite of some troubles with huge roots, because they have some of the nicest cutting feedback (hard to describe) and cut everything else better than anything else I tried (again, it's that very precise feedback)...Now if I could get them to cut roots better, then they'd really be perfect for me.

Main thing you get your knife sharp enough to do the job.Steering,Flex,Stiction,I've prefered thin J-Gyuto many yrs. cut all kinds of food never thought about these things,but they seem to be a major concern on knife forums