Quantcast
Heiji love - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Heiji love

im in the process of getting a heiji. considering 1 person here was unsafisfied with his but 14 other people say its the best knife they ever used or close to it im not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Mike, I'm with ya and have never doubted your or EP word on anything. I trust him to sharpen my knives too. I just think that its insensitive for TK to bash MP, that's all.
    If you have issue with what tk said, engage him in a discussion then, not EdipisReks. Your comments toward him are misdirected.

And, you're guilty of exactly what you claim to be insensitive. You're basically bashing EdipisReks when he said absolutely nothing about mpukas.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Michael, I have nothing against ER or TK. ER said he liked to sharpen his knives when he drinks. I didn't say it. Just making light of it.

ER if I have offended, I'm sorry as that was not my intention, but I can see how my words could be mis-construde and taken the wrong way.

However, I've been reading/enjoying/laughing/learning your post for years and have a gut feel that you've got a good sense of humor, unlike others on this forum.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

@jaybett: Heijis (and other similarly ground knives) do thicken up a little quicker as you get farther from the edge and in my hands, that does lead to a bit more resistance than a knife that is less "convex" but then there is less sticktion when cutting larger objects so I think that's a decent trade-off. While I am not a rutabaga guy, I do cut everything else with these knives and enjoy doing so. Perhaps the one exception would be cutting big chunks of large, fully hydrated carrots, which sometimes tend to crack before the cut makes it all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    @jaybett: Heijis (and other similarly ground knives) do thicken up a little quicker as you get farther from the edge and in my hands, that does lead to a bit more resistance than a knife that is less "convex" but then there is less sticktion when cutting larger objects so I think that's a decent trade-off. While I am not a rutabaga guy, I do cut everything else with these knives and enjoy doing so. Perhaps the one exception would be cutting big chunks of large, fully hydrated carrots, which sometimes tend to crack before the cut makes it all the way through.

This is exactly my experience as well. I could be wrong but in my experience the most important part of maintaining the geometry of any double bevel heiji is to follow the bevels and thin well.

Thanks for the info.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

I use the front half of the knife, and find even big carrots to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I use the front half of the knife, and find even big carrots to be fine.
    Really? I'm thinking our "fine" or "enjoyable" are probably different. All the Heijis I've used have been especially amazing at most things, so I love them. But for hard, huge roots, I've always felt they're just meh...not good, not horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Really? I'm thinking our "fine" or "enjoyable" are probably different. All the Heijis I've used have been especially amazing at most things, so I love them. But for hard, huge roots, I've always felt they're just meh...not good, not horrible.
    Entirely possible, but I love to cut very thin sections of rutabaga for making rutabaga fries. And I've found no better knives than my Heijis for it.

In spreading the Heiji love I though I'd share the only level that he trumps the awe I have for his SS knives.
    Heiji bone saws are works of art! Don't think there is a finer saw maker out there.

+ Reply to Thread