Quantcast
Weight loss support group? - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss support group?

I don't have much weight to lose, but I have noticed a few interesting things since I started Paleo diet (I do it about 80% of the time) a few month ago. My skin cleared up and my eyes became whiter (I must have improved functioning of my liver). My weight is stable and my energy level has increased.

I need to expand my Paleo menu a bit, but other than that,it worked great for me and I would recommend it for folks who are trying to lose weight. Restricting carb intake is your goal. Exercise is secondary (mostly for feel-good reason) when it comes to weight loss but it will help with a sleep and will increase your metabolism somewhat.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I am on board wt. this I could deff. lose some weight.I like to get in the ocean at least 4 times a week.I have been a Saltydog all my life.I like backstroke & crawl use fins because of Ocean currents.As long as I don't lose weight from a shark,we have had several attacks in the last month,one girl died & a couple surfers got bites. Tiger Sharks.

I can't live without my brown rice & baked potatoes.Just smaller portions.Fresh Fruits & Veggies.Fish

Not pushing a product, but the wife and I have been using the Green Coffee Bean Extract to assist with our improved diet and exercise plan and it appears to be helping a lot. Moreso with me than with her, but I think the more weight you have to lose the faster it will shed in like situations. Can't say it wi;; work the same for anyone else, but my wife swears by it. Just look for one that is 100% pure as there seems to be a ton of them out there that jumped on the bandwagon and offer variants.

So, I am making Sundays my day for weight checks. It's a little guesswork for this first week because I didn't have the scale last Sunday, so the starting weight may be off by a pound or so, but it looks like I lost about 4 pounds this first week that I really made an effort and tracked my eating. Of course, a lot of this is water and an effect of changes in diet, but I am obviously on the right track.

The thing I struggled most with this week was resisting late night snacks. I ended up eating too much trail mix. I bought that to add a bit to fruits or cereal, but if I have it around, I have a hard time resisting it, much more tempting than chips etc. for me. Better than many other things, but still not ideal. Any ideas what to keep around as 'healthy' snacks? I will make an offort to keep cut-up fruit in the fridge, small carrots, celery, maybe pretzels, low fat cheese - any other tips?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    So, I am making Sundays my day for weight checks. It's a little guesswork for this first week because I didn't have the scale last Sunday, so the starting weight may be off by a pound or so, but it looks like I lost about 4 pounds this first week that I really made an effort and tracked my eating. Of course, a lot of this is water and an effect of changes in diet, but I am obviously on the right track.

The thing I struggled most with this week was resisting late night snacks. I ended up eating too much trail mix. I bought that to add a bit to fruits or cereal, but if I have it around, I have a hard time resisting it, much more tempting than chips etc. for me. Better than many other things, but still not ideal. Any ideas what to keep around as 'healthy' snacks? I will make an offort to keep cut-up fruit in the fridge, small carrots, celery, maybe pretzels, low fat cheese - any other tips?

Stefan
    I like to make ranch dressing with the hidden valley ranch packets. I substitute in greek yogurt though. It makes for a VERY tasty, healthy, relatively low calorie dip for fresh vegetables. My kids even love it.

The thing about snacking late at night is that it's 100% ok, as long as you're under your daily calories. Meal timing (the whole 'eat six small meals a day thing) has been completely debunked as far as weight loss is concerned. As a matter of fact, there are supposed to be many health benefits to only eating one or two larger meals a day (research 'Intermittent Fasting') within a 6-8hr period. For myself, I rarely eat before 1pm, and will usually have a snack (not necessarily healthy lol) before bed.

Of all of the 'diets' out there...I like Paleo the best. Mark's Daily Apple is a great source of information on the subject. I'm more of an 'everything in moderation' kind of guy though...and use a calorie limit (which I don't stick to religiously anymore...more of a guide) to keep my weight where I want it.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Celery, carrots, radishes, grape tomatoes - all are good for snacks, as are fruits like apples, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Grapes are high in sugars, but if you only have a few, you can get away with it.

Pretzels, not so much, as the refined carbohydrates will put your blood sugar levels on a roller coaster and leave you hungry in an hour or two.

I'm not a fan of the taste or texture of low fat cheese, and would rather have a smaller piece of something I like. YMMV.

Hard boil and peel some eggs as well. You'll find one egg does a great job of satisfying evening hunger pangs.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Good points, thanks! Will try the ranch dressing tip, I usually stay away from these pre-packaged dressings, but it seems more practical than having all the things to make my own at home. Eggs are a good idea also. The best stategy would probably be to go to bed earlier....

Fully agree on the reduced fat cheeses, I was more thinking of cheeses that are naturally a bit lower in fat, like mozzarella, parmigiano etc. I also find the fat-free greek yoghurts surprisingly tasty, I used to buy the 10% variety (or made my own) before they became the newest rage and available in all kinds of shapes.

As for a diet, I try to avoid extremes and what it comes down to is a mild form of the paleo diet, I guess. What I like about the weight watchers system is that it has a decent online tool and the 'point system' gives you a lot of flexibility. But you still should have an idea of what you are doing. For example, all fresh fruit get 0 points and can be eaten without limits, but if you load up on grapes or other high sugar fruits, that's not all that great. I try to choose more complex starches or whole grain varieties where possible, but cannot imagine living without them. I occasionally bake my own bread, usually around 50% whole grain. I may want to bake more regularly and work on increasing the whole grain percentage.

Stefan

Steph.Apples and large carrots.They take a while to eat,you have to bite & chew alot.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    What I like about the weight watchers system is that it has a decent online tool and the 'point system' gives you a lot of flexibility. But you still should have an idea of what you are doing. For example, all fresh fruit get 0 points and can be eaten without limits, but if you load up on grapes or other high sugar fruits, that's not all that great.
    That's actually the thing about Weight Watchers I dislike the most. If you eat 2500cal in a day of normal foods, and your calorie limit is 3000 to maintain your weight...1000cal of fruit is still going to make you fat. Calories are calories when it comes to weight, whether 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' (barring food allergies/intolerances' of course). You could eat ALL 3000cal in fruit, or carrots, or broccoli, and you will ABSOLUTELY gain weight. Sugars don't make you fat. Starches don't make you fat. The 'Twinkie Diet' was real, and it worked. Now, for your overall health, by all means you should eat whole foods whenever you can! But the Weight Watchers system tends to convince people that demonizing certain foods will help them lose weight, and eating however much they want of other foods will have no impact. These things just aren't true. An awareness of the energy value of the foods you eat is (in my opinion) the best possible way to arm yourself against weight gain.

But even with that said...ANY effort is better than no effort...and a start is a start. Many people lose weight with Weight Watchers, it isn't all bad .

Oh, and don't get me started on 'Low Fat' lol. The stuff's horrible for you. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, other than full fat food tends to be higher in calories. The thing they're trading for the fat/calories in low fat foods is sodium and chemical processing, which in the end, is just as bad or worse for you than being overweight. I just eat a little less of the full fat stuff.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Yep, I fully agree. I haven't followed the research around WW in recent years, but they used to have a great original concept with a lot of scientific expertise in the background. Unfortunately, it was too complex for people to follow. Now, with the point system, things are dumbed down a bit. My assumption would be that they did some research on this to come up with a simplified method that still comes close to a balanced diet. And since 85% of the population do not eat the suggested amounts of fruits and vegetables, it makes sense to favor them by assigning low or no points to them. Of course, the implicit idea is that people eat 7 servings of f&v instead of other things, not in addition to their usual diet... And eating 3000 calories in cucumbers is a callenge

But, again, I agree: the more you know about at least some basic things like calories, macronutrients, fiber etc. the easier it is to eat healthier. Unfortunately, all awareness and knowledge is most often not enough because our eating and food choices are mostly not based on rational decisions but on emotional cues, environment cues, habit etc. Btw, that's why I also don't believe in weight loss drugs that work through the hunger and satiety regulation - there are too many occasions when I eat or overeat and hunger has nothing to do with it.

Ok, now off to a coffee place with wifi to work a bit on preparing a new class I am teaching, gotta stay a couple of weeks abead of my students...

Stefan