Quantcast
Weight loss support group? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss support group?

i work many long 14-15 hour days in the kitchen. i just dont have the time to hit a gym before or after shifts like that. so what i like to do instead is push up sets, just outside behind the restuarant. usually sets of 40 or 50. in a long day i can get in maybe 5 sets. along with other simple movements like planks, free squats. usually this stuff can just take 2-3 minutes to do. about the time the other cooks use for smoke breaks. its better than nothing, and pushups are good workout to have in between gym visits.

From January to March, I survived on vegetable-fruit smoothies, yogurt, egg whites, chicken breast and one daily junk food snack (cookie, candy, cake) and made it a point to burn about 300 Cal worth either on a bike or jogging 5 out of 6 days. (~30 min). I went from close to 180 ~25% body fat down to about 160 ~13% body fat. Since then I've started eating more normally (in terms of junk food and low value carbs like pasta, potatoes, bread, etc), counting my calories loosely and exercising a bit more and currently stand at 154 ~11 % body fat. I count calories using an app on my iphone called MyFitnessPal. No gimmicks, no special workouts. Just dogged determination.

I'm up for it

TK......What are you using to measure your body fat. I really want to know what mine is.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    to my fitness pal. Great calorie library.
    Chewie's the man.

Looks like there are a few of us interested, and some great tips already. Maybe just as a info about myself, a long time ago I lead weight loss groups and I did my dissertation on eating behavior, so I know quite a bit about it. But I have struggled with my own weight all my life myself. For a moment I was thinking about starting with an intensive program like a low calorie diet (Optifast etc) but it's just not the right time for that right now. So I rather want to get back to healthier eating overall and to a more balanced diet.

I will clean out a few things from my fridge and stock up on others, and then get started with the weight watchers online tool. I have used that before with reasonable success. I am sure there are others, and their point system needs some getting used to, but I find it better to use something that gives me a framework but more freedom in the details. My biggest problem is portion control anyway, my nutrition per se is not horrible, I just eat too much of everything.

As for exercise, at this time I am so unfit that I have to start slowly, maybe with increasingly extended walks around the block. In a couple of weeks, I will try to walk to work occasionally. That's about 30min one way and should not be a big deal, but right now I would get there sweaty and panting.

I probably should get a scale also, I'll see what I find.

Stefan

So since we're talking about loosing weight....I work from mid morning till anywhere between 8 to 10.....I can eat breakfast at home....I leave for for at 10 o'clock.....and I get a lunch break anywhere between 1 and around 3.....I get about twenty minutes....I struggle with eating too much in the early morning and late at night cause I'm starving sometimes when I get home.....there is no way I can eat small snacks at work.....any advice on eating on a weird schedule....I feel like I'll never loose weight eating two big meals...I prefer to eat smaller meals thru the day but its not possible for me.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

I can tend to loose some tonnage as well. I did a tour with the Canadian Forces. I joined after college. I was 6'4" and 175 lbs with a 34" waist. When I got out of the military, I was 275 lbs, and still had a 34" waist. Since then, time, gravity, and less activity allowed me to contract Furniture Disease. My chest fell into my drawers! So I have 30 to 40 pounds I would be happy shedding. I will say I'm in, but time and cheesecake may win!!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

One of my friends points out in his presentations that the couch is one of the biggest killers of our time, I like the term 'furniture disease', may have to add that to my repertoire. Research-based fact is that cutting calories is the most important part in losing weight, much more important than exercise. However, without regular exercise, chances are slim to non-existent to maintain your lowered weight. So, getting into that routine as early as possible is a good idea.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    TK......What are you using to measure your body fat. I really want to know what mine is.
    I average my scale at home (Taylor, electrical impedance), the one at the local drugstore (also electrical impedance but you grip the electrodes rather than stand on them) and a couple of different caliper methods. It's going to be an estimate and different methods are calibrated differently and may not be a great fit to you, personally. There's no real great way to get your body comp. so I just measure it same four ways and try to be consistent. Over time, the trends are really the more meaningful data to look at.

+ Reply to Thread