Making a universal knife holder

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The commercial universal knife holders from say Bodum suck, given how sharp our knives are, they actually cut into those stupid rods I have found. But I read somewhere about a crazy idea that mightdactually work and wondered if anyone had ever tried it with good knives: fill a properly shaped container with rice, and use that...

I really need to come up with good system for my big knives and cleavers as keeping them flat isn't working for me...

what do people think??

I wouldn't go sticking any extreme geometries into hard rice grains... Wood covered magnetic racks seem to be the best universal option.

I made myself a very usable (though simple and visually not all too attractive) wooden magnetic holder and it is really the best solution I have seen so far. Since there are several excellent custom makers around here you may want to consider having one custom built to your needs.

The good thing about the phone book idea is that you would be stropping the edge when you slide the knife in and out!

I made this, is this what you're talking about? Or are you trying to do something else?

IMG_0881_zps70cc0b28.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I use phone books on a shelf to slide the blades in when I'm letting handles dry between coats,for some reason printed ink on cheap paper is good for knives.

I have two 18" Magblocks& thinking of getting another one.I keep knives not using well oiled in a leather knife bag.

Back