Quantcast
Does anybody brine brisket? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody brine brisket?

I don't know about that Jim. I've been to places where people smother stuff in ketchup and called it BBQ. It was not very good.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I don't know about that Jim. I've been to places where people smother stuff in ketchup and called it BBQ. It was not very good.

Quite True! I think the quote was about pizza anyway.

I am rethinking the low and slow method. I think for the next brisket, I'll do the 5-7 hrs smoke, and put it in the oven to finish at 300 degrees at internal temp of 190. The 250 degrees in the oven just takes too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Quite True! I think the quote was about pizza anyway.
    That I can I agree with. I lived off of those one dollar totinos pizzas in college.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

That I can I agree with. I lived off of those one dollar totinos pizzas in college.
    dang, you are making me feel old. Kroger pizzas were $0.45 when I was in college. I don't think Totino's existed at that time. In fact, car tires and pizzas were all square, as the circle had not yet been invented.

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    I am rethinking the low and slow method. I think for the next brisket, I'll do the 5-7 hrs smoke, and put it in the oven to finish at 300 degrees at internal temp of 190. The 250 degrees in the oven just takes too long.
    Bao:

I've been thinking the same as well. I've tried cooking a whole packer's brisket (flat and point) at 225 to 275 several times and it takes at least 12 hours and the results have never been that good; at that point, based on what I've read, nearly all of the internal moisture has essentially evaporated or cooked out of the meat, and the collagen has melted, giving the essentially dry meat some moisture.

Certainly, using plastic wrap or foil would help, but, I think with brisket, versus other meats, you're looking at a narrow window where the meat is moist (because of the melted collagen) and cooked through when cooking LONG, slow and low. Cooking fast would get the temperature of the meat up faster (to 180 or so), thus reducing the lengthy period of time for the water in the meat to evaporate or cook out, but getting the collagen up to a high enough temperature to melt.

I saw in one of the OLN barbecue competitions that Myron Mixon does a quick cook method. Also, I also recall reading that a number of famous Texas barbecue places cooking at temperatures over 300 and simply "cook until it's done."
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post

No reason to go into the oven if you are want to go 7 hours. Just get your smoker up to 325-350 and you are set. For five hours, then you can smoke until the brisket temp plateaus around 160-165 and then you wrap it in foil(texas crutch) and finish in the oven until the meat gets plastic fork tender. This normally takes 1.5 to 2 hours. If you like a nice bark, you can then put it back into the smoker to firm up the bark for 30-60 minutes.

I've heard of 3 hour briskets at higher temps but I have never tried. My Weber Smokey Mountain can't get much hotter than 350 once the fat start rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    dang, you are making me feel old. Kroger pizzas were $0.45 when I was in college. I don't think Totino's existed at that time. In fact, car tires and pizzas were all square, as the circle had not yet been invented.
    I've been eating Totinos since the late 70's/ early 80's so you must be old. LOL

Here another little secret. Yellow mustard. Apply a thin layer of it all over your brisket before you put on your rub.

Here another little secret. Yellow mustard. Apply a thin layer of it all over your brisket before you put on your rub.
    +1
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig