Has anyone used Sigma Power stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckTheButcher

Reaction score
I've heard of sigma stones before and have read the reviews. They get pretty good reviews but all the ones I find are for wood working. Has anyone ever used them for knives?

You might try a search........

from what ive read i guess they dish as fast as they cut. still, id be interested in the 1200# one.

I do not believe there is a big difference - woodworking stones vs knives stones. Both branches uses the same stones. If you browse around woodworking forums you will see very familiar stone names... Naniwas, Kings, Shaptons, Besters, etc... Also the steel used in tools is quite similar or same you would find in knives.
I've heard sigmas are quite good, fast cutting stones.

Too me, the difference between woodworking stones and knife stones is that tool stones tends to be less forgiving. Surely, they can both get a great edge, but stones designed for knives tend to be more forgiving and have more even polishing result (especially for carbon single bevels, bringing out the contrast between hagane and jingane)

I haven't used them but I know Lee Valley thinks the world of them and a diligent google search shows othe rpeople who really really liek them, so I would be interested in knowing this as well

Yeah I'm gonna try one. They are a very reasonable price. Although we'll see how fast they dish.

I have the Sigma Power 'soft type' ceramic #1k. It's incredibly fast and aggressive. It feels and looks like a chalk brick on steroids.

The 'hard type' series seems to be more common.

I have a couple of Sigma Powers. The 400 works for me as a somewhat slow, coarse splash n go. The SPII 1.2k is a pretty fast stone. Cost aside, I prefer the Gesshin line. It really seems like Jon is doing a good job of methodically hitting each stone category and developing something outstanding for it.

I'm not sure if he is still active, but Stu (Schtoo on this site) at Tools from Japan used to be somewhat active around here. He was helpful in discussions with me and I came close to getting the 1000 and either 5 or 6k but ended up going with JNS1000 and Rika 5k instead.

It looks like he no longer has a store here. Gonna miss him.

Just looked him up. He has the vendor tag still, but hasn't been on since Jan.. Still missing him.

Last edited:
Back