Quantcast
Forscher > Henckels? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forscher > Henckels?

I have a Henkels 5 star chefs and a Victorinox chefs. The henkels seem to hold the edge slightly better then the victorinox, at least to me. I have to steel the victorinox more while using it compared to my henkels. Both have 6k edges and stropped on newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    I have a Henkels 5 star chefs and a Victorinox chefs. The henkels seem to hold the edge slightly better then the victorinox, at least to me. I have to steel the victorinox more while using it compared to my henkels. Both have 6k edges and stropped on newspaper.
    The henckels made in germany (not the international line) and of course the japanese lines, all hold edges extremely well. The german ones (my experience is with international (spain), 5 star, and proS) that have ice hardening treatment, that henckels has a name for, really do take and hold a nice edge. My parers and slicers are daily use and are kep hair popping sharp with steeling and then stropping for weeks before stones...

Weeks?! Holy moly! Wait, are you a pro or home cook?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Weeks?! Holy moly! Wait, are you a pro or home cook?
    Yeah. The most I can get is 3-5 days of hard mise en place before steeling does nothing much to it.

And the 5 star is ice hardened too.

home, I am not using the things for more than once a day for light use. My point is they are not poor choices, though they offer some advantages over the harder japanese steels too, chipping being one, even accidental chips from it laying around and something knocking into it (coffee mug for 1)...

JC

Thanks guys. I definitely agree, JC. Another advantage is generally better stain resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Edge retention is definitely poor compared to typical Japanese blades but is it worse than a Henckels or Wusthof or (fill in the blank)?
    (Kramer)?

Theres only one brand comes in my mind, stainless Sabatier. Its worst crap Ive used, the knife is sharp, you can get it to the point where it shaves, but few slices of roast and its soft.
    Generaly all of those knives are too thick, and too soft.
    Victorinox will keep sharpness after one day of work, but the edge will reflex light in way too many spots.

Is the Henckels better? For me no, just the feeling it provides when cutting makes me uncomfortable, maybe because of the size?

I think its time to attempt thinning old Vick down

I love Vic steel, just love the way it responds. They do best with a good convex edge, IME, and if my hands would have their say, its the same steel as their fantastic pocket knives.

+ Reply to Thread